Friday, October 03, 2008

iPhone: Only One Complaint after One Year of Bliss...

It's the text messaging, my fruity ingenious friends. Not that it is clunky or hard to use. It is not. It is easy. Easy as key lime pie. Toooo easy. HOWEVER...

Because of the touch screen interface, one can easily chose the WRONG person to send a text message to.

This is a problem... oh say, when you think you are sending a... ahem... text message to oh say... YOUR WIFE, and you send the text message to YOUR MOM, or even better YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW instead. Imagine the horror of a certain man as he notices that he is sending a message meant for his God-given wife to his MOTHER. Imagine... You stare at the "sending-text" moving bar, completely helpless. You begin to scream over and over and over "NO!" - punching any and every button to ease the horror, but to no avail.

Then, because you've made this mistake, you wildly try to thumb-out another message to YOUR MOTHER and try to essplain your rouge message, but because you are frantic, and because of the auto-spell-correction - standard in all iPhones - the new and improved message takes on a life of its own. And while you meant to say (in your second message) "that message was not meant for you," the auto-corrector delivers "that massage was now meant for you!"

With sweat accumulating under your arms, a tear welling in your left eye, and after after another fit of screaming "No's," you begin slowly typing your third text. Then your MOM calls you, mid texting. You are slightly annoyed at how seamlessly your iPhone goes from the text screen to the phone screen, displaying the lovely picture of your MOTHER.

For the next 3 hours you are blushing five shades of red because of the hysterical laughter that ensued when you described the folly to your MOTHER. She now has the ammo that she has always wanted to embarrass you at any moment during future Christmas holidays and you are her dinner-and-dishwasher-slave, forevermore.

Anyways, dear Apple... my friend, buddy ole' pal. You might want to consider a "cancel-the-catastrophic-message-meant-for-my-wife" button in your next design.

Your faithful friend and buyer.

Sam.

7 comments:

Douglas said...

Sooooo.... do you know this from personal experience?

Popcorn said...

Sending a for your eyes only text to my husband and it going to, say, one of our kids, is my worst fear!! I started sweating just reading your post!

Super Churchlady said...

I'm starting to feel sorry for my husband b/c he never gets any hot text messages from me. That's probably b/c ...by the time it takes me to text something, the mood has passed. Ha!

Seth Ward said...

For the record... the original accidental message was less steamy than the second. It was pretty warm and fuzzy, actually. It was just that it was to someone that I reeeeeeaaaally didn't want it to go to.

And, you never realize how blunt you really are until what you say ends up going to the wrong person...

Anonymous said...

Ha...that was really funny, Seth...

...I mean...I'm SO sorry that happened to you...

:-)

euphrony said...

That's why I don't text-message.

I did get a similar e-mail from my sister-in-law once, meant for my brother. Had a good laugh at that one.

Anonymous said...

I'm in line with Kat...I laughed out loud, Seth--yet I can sympathize [?--pardon me, can't speel right now :-)] when it happens. Here's to a jolly evening!