Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Trading Chandeliers

The wedding was beautiful. I will talk about it more when I am not so ticked at the Hotel for internet travesty that happened earlier. Geeze Louis. I do have a few minutes here so I am going to share something. God has been smacking me in the face with something lately. The poor and the Church. The beautiful wedding this weekend even served as another huge reminder of Christ and His Church. Now, I don't want to add to the huge pile of blogs, articles, anti-white-American-songs, news-interviews-railing-rich-preachers given by Katie-the-sweetie Couric. I simply just want to ask you, the Church to begin again with me to dream. Ignite the true fire of the Gospel.

I am starting to see that what bothers me and many people about the American Protestant Church. We are coming to the horrible realization that we are rich. We are richer than the Church has ever been. As a matter of fact, we could probably wipe out world hunger with all of our wealth. We seek to build a society, a Kingdom here on earth by building churches that have schools, coffee shops, work-out facilities, racquet ball courts, etc. The ever knawing question remains in our soul. The poor are dying all over the world. The poor are dying blocks away from each of us. I drive by hospitals everyday on my way to Church. Every time I pass by I ask myself this question: What if all the money that went to a big huge Church building program went to pay the medical bills of people who can't afford treatment?

While the Church cannot solve the insurance disgrace that has gone on in this country, and we certainly aren't responsible for it, we are responsible for the poor. So responsible in fact, that our very salvation could depend upon it. So there we sit, every Sunday morning, in a perfectly designed, incredibly expensive building while there are poor people blocks away, and sometimes IN THE CHURCH that can't pay their medical bills. We build multi-zillion dollar buildings, pay pastors 6 figure salaries, and there are people from all walks of life who can't pay their electricity, who are jobless, can't pay their car payment and can't pay for or even GET medical insurance which would put them in the care of good doctors, therefore they die. We don't have to look around the world or wait till Avalon comes to town and send money off to the Mercy Ships. The mercy ships are right down your streets. They are called Hospitals. In those hospitals are some very sick and poor people.

When Katrina hit Houston, the Church shined like a burning Star. What if we acted like there was a Katrina all time.

Let me get a little Church Lady on us here. What if we repented. Repent literally means to "change the way you think." What if we didn't think so highly of ourselves that we build massive, beautiful, extravagant buildings, say they are for the Lord, when the marble floors and chandeliers are so we can feel good about where we come to socialize, in turn hopefully attract some of the wealthy and powerful in the community so they can socialize right along with the best of us. Sure we meet and worship, and in the best of circumstances lives are changed and God uses the praise of his people to heal families, marraiges, and even work medical miracles, but honestly, we can do that in a gymnasium. Christ has called us to more.

We are spending our money in the wrong places people. I am sure of it. 50 million dollar buildings? 10 MIllion Dollar buildings? I am afraid we are suffering a bit of what the Catholic Church exprerienced in the medieval period. The only difference is that Churches hire CEO's for pastors (many very good men, CEO doesn't equal jerk) instead of Shepherds. CEOs do what they do best, rake in the money. Manage huge budgets and build bigger and better buildings. Its a turf war in some cases. Big huge billboards put up, advertising a certain Church across town when the billboard is blocks away from a small un-glamorous Church. In the medieval era, the rich and the aristocracy got the big Bishop and Pope positons, now Churches look for business degrees. That is no jest either.

Let yourself immagine a scenerio. It may be naive, and rough around the edges but I can't help but get excited at the prospect. What if a Church decided to raise 8 million for a new building. The work and pledge and work and pledge. Within the year they raise it. (They are in a wealthy community) Something strange happens. Even though they raised the money, at the beginning of the fund raiser, they decided that all the money, save a few thousand to remodel or build economically, was given totally to pay the medical bills of those in need. Pay for that expensive Cancer treatment that the poor family can't afford. Pay for that heart transplant. Pay for that Bone Marrow Transplant and here is the Kicker... There is no discriminating the person or persons helped. It is done without condition. True Samaritans. Sure beats tracts and chandeliers in my book. It may in fact start to resmeble the Love and compassion of a certain Savior who gave all that he had so that we could be with Him, know Him, and be known by Him. Maybe I am dreaming a little too grand. Maybe God wants to have a big fancy gillion dollar piano instead of the money being spent on an important transplant that some kid needs. Maybe. If you had that money, and you had the choice, which would you choose.

Obviously this opens up a whole city of cans inhabited by worms. But at least it could get us thinking a bit. Right now I am just trying to change the way I think. And right now I think that Chandeliers in a Church kinda suck in Comparison to Compassion.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth,
I can't tell if you wrote this or if I did. My thoughts exactly. I get so frustrated when we dedicate so much time to the often gilded activities that attract (suprise!) people just like us who (suprise!) mainly just hopped here from another church. Why do we so many times fall short or the opportunity to spend the big bucks on real physical and spiritual outreach rather than on in reach or inter-church reach? This feeling is why I blogged about areas where we could really build up our community and world a few weeks ago and a few days ago. There are too many opportunities to do more than just give a passing glance at life around us.

Joey said...

I know I complain about your long posts sometimes, but this last post gripped me. I read every word and I am with you whole heartedly. Perhaps we are going to witness the beginning stages of a new reformation. Not one of the Catholic church, but on the other end. I doubt this will ever happen, but the need is evident. HERE HERE!

Susanne said...

I totally agree with you. Our churches have built million-dollar buildings in the name of winning the unchurched, and we've neglected the people Christ told us to minister to. The widows and orphans don't care what the chandeliers look like. I was a member of a mega church before we came to WTBC, and although they did many great things, it always bothered me that there was such a focus on material wealth. Most of the people asked to speak in church or head up committees were millionaires. We were made to think that those people were important because they gave a lot of money to the church (no matter that they might have only given 1/100th of what they made). The parking lot had every luxury car imaginable, and the church had marble floors and zillions of plasma TV screens, but you hardly ever heard about what the church was doing for PEOPLE outside the church. They did have many ministries, and I know it's expensive to minister to a 25,000-member church, but they could've been doing SO much more with the zillions of bucks they were raking in. I'm hoping that Joey's right and that a reformation will be started. How can we help? Should we take part in business meetings when finances are discussed? Maybe we can be part of the solution.

Susanne said...

Did you read this post at Brant Hansen's site? It's related to this discussion:
http://branthansen.typepad.com/letters_from_kamp_krusty/dept_of_things_you_saw_coming/index.html

Seth Ward said...

Euphrony, where are you in Houston?

I have a friend who went to a Huge well-known Church here in H-Town and spent most of his time at that Church looking for work. Everyone knew he was out of a job, a good, smart guy, and finally, someone offered him a temp job. This job barely helped him to make ends meet. He finally found a Job, a good one, through another friend at another Church. It just astounded me. How can we help the poor around us if we can't even take care of the poor in our congregation?

Seth Ward said...

Joey, I hope so my friend. I have been encouraged to find that many other people are sharing these sentiments. This is the obvious work of the Holy Spirit calling the entire Church. He works that way. I love it! It will be our generation and our Children's that will see the Church Unified. I am convinced of it.

Seth Ward said...

Susanne, My life was changed in a humble, poor, black church in Waco Texas. A man got up to give his weekly testimony of what God had done for him. I have never seen a man so thankful. He barely had anything but he was so thankful that God kept providing. He had bee released from prison a year prior and was crippled from his stay there. Joy and wisdom flowed out of every word that came from his mouth. I think I'll blog about that one!

Seth Ward said...

Fr Kevin,

Welcome! Thanks for the encouragement and I hope you come back to comment often.

I agree that there should be a balance. Not everyone is called to a vow of poverty. God used Matthew's wealth and the generosity of others to lavish love on Christ and support that minstry. I just think that the love is lavished in the wrong places these days. Jesus says what you do to these you do to Me. This means we are doing exactly the opposite of what we are supposed to do. Wealth from the church should be redistributed to the poor and some should be reserved to pay for bills and upkeep. Not visa versa. Exravagantly giving to God is better shown in saving the lives of the dying and poor than in purchasing those 100,000 dollar marble counter tops for the bathrooms.

What would happen if the church combined its wealth and BECAME a commpasionate church internatioanlly. Stop letting Compassion do all the work. (I realize the Catholic Church is more involved internationally than anyone, speaking mostly of the American Protestant Church) These things are our jobs. Just thinking out loud here.

I read Shlog yesterday and saw that in their last Icon service they gathered their funds and spent money on helping a poor family. Pretty cool. It was ironic that that was the LAST service. Probably to be replaced with a service that was shooting for bigger numbers, i.e. bigger cash flow, i.e. bigger and better sound system and stats. Maybe not though, I don't know the story there, but it would definitely follow the current trends if that is the story.

This type of Chartiy shown when the Hurricane refugees hit Houston should happen daily in my opinion. And not just wait till they show up at the Church door punching the doorbell.

Anonymous said...

Seth, concerning IKON (since I attended), the reason it ended is because that church just hired a new guy to be in charge of the age group IKON was ministering to. So Shaun and Brian stepped out to let the new guy do his own stuff. I was sorry to see it end.

Susanne said...

I'd love to read a blog about the guy in the Waco church.

Anonymous said...

Seth,
Lets just say I live a few blocks over from a certain 2006 gold-medaling Olympic speed skater in north Harris county. I worship with the Bammel coC, what I like to call a pleasantly-plump congregation (around 1500 members). I am happy to say that Bammel does a good job of taking care of those in need, from the jobless to those coming in off the street. We were not able to shelter people during Katrina like we wanted to because there is a private school run out of the same building (liability and legal issues); but we have corrected that now with a new building expressly for ministry use (e.g. classes, recovery groups, shelter, etc.). At the same time, we also try to head Paul’s admonishment to the Thessalonians "If a man will not work, he shall not eat." (2 Thessalonians 3:10) and not simply enable people – a tough decision at times. Its not about our being taken advantage of, but rather about their growing.

Your point remains, though, that the inward focus of some individuals and groups, or the single-mindedness to a set goal, will exclude the people who are in need the most. Reminds me of a small West Texas town church I know about which has difficulty meeting budget; funny enough, the preacher always gets his full paycheck even if the other church staff do not get paid a dime of their salary.

One way we focus on the touching of lives around us is through a minister whose specific job is outreach into the area and getting the congregation involved. This guy could start up a lively conversation with a fence post, and find out more about it than its surrounding posts new. Plus get the post to church the next week, in a bible study, and working on polishing out the rough knots the post has not been able to afford to have fixed. He spends his time going around to apartments, hotels, wherever and looking for people in need. And we are working on hiring someone to work with him who is multilingual and can reach the non-English speaking community around us as well.

Not all of us are good at seeing the needs of people, but most of us act when it is pointed out. Maybe what we need more of is pointers.

Lexie Ward said...

I feel really guilty here. My blog today is over whether animals commit suicide to get away from their owners.
Geesh.
Working at a food pantry gave me a whole new perspective on this subject. All I can say is that, yes, we should be helping people. But I also know that even if you took all the money used to build nice churches and gave it to the poor, a bunch of those people would still end up poor in the end. I KNOW THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, trust me. Sometimes you really do help people, which makes it all worth it. But sometimes you feel as if you're pouring money through a sieve.

Lexie Ward said...

BTW!!!

Do you think somebody might tell me when someone I know is getting married???? Like your wife's brother???? Who I didn't even know was engaged????

How much DNA do you have to share with a person before they clue you in on life's details?

Okay, I'm done now!

Seth Ward said...

Stephen, Thanks for the information about IKON. I hope that didn't come off as nasty or judgemental. I am sure the new guy will do a great job and it was pretty cool and gracious that Shaun and Brian stepped aside as to not cause a ruckus. I hope they get an opportunity to teach elsewhere as they seem to have a pretty darn good knack for it.

Thanks again!

Seth Ward said...

Campfire Hottie, I could have told you , but then... I would have had to kill you.

007, over and out.

Joey said...

I think we are missing part of the picture. It's not only money that creates wealth. Money is the quick fix. It's education. To pick the poor up, and if they will listen, show them the way. I believe those who need medical help will not turn it down. The idea of just throwing money to poor people has never solved anything, and Campfire I don't think that is what is being proposed. Feed the hungry, heal the sick, all of which take money. That's what we are talking about here.

Lexie Ward said...

Joey,

Yes, I do realize that. Have considered this as well. I actually think there are a lot of programs out there that do just what you're proposing and many of them are started by and maintained by churches.

The food pantry I worked with was a large organization, affiliated with a lot of other organizations that help people with other problems, such as education, health concerns,childcare etc. I got a good look at it all because we all worked together. I really need to blog on this one in order to more effectively express myself without using up all Seth's space.