Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Scenery Was Great

So my brother-in-law Eric Evans married Shannyn O'Brien on the beach in the SUNSHINE State last week. It was one of those weddings that even people who don't like weddings would have liked to seen. Just beautiful. They knelt and took communion as a part of their ceremony and it was the most moving part of the service for me. I am starting to believe that communion is going to become a greater part of every Church service, everywhere, regardless of denomination, in my generation and the generations to come. It used to be THE thing that Christians did when they got together and had "church" They drank, ate, and remembered. This made the already moving ceremony that much more powerful and meaningful to me.

During Communion they played a great tune by Shuan Groves called "the Narrow." If you don't own the song go download it.

"The Narrow" by Shaun Groves:

This way is paved with tears
Shed for two thousand years
Wrung from the saints sincere
Martyred and mourned
Spirit who scorched their veins
Burn in my bones the same
Bid me to earn their chains
And take the cross of my Lord, my Lord and

Chorus:

Give up the whole wide world
Give up the whole wide world
For my share of blessing and beauty and bloodshed
And wonders and woes
The wonders and woes of the narrow
Of the narrow

This way is eased with song
Sung where we don't belong
Sung till the weak are strong
And home with my Lord, my Lord

9 comments:

Lexie Ward said...

Wow, how beautiful! And I'm so happy for Eric. I would have said so sooner, HAD SOMEONE TOLD ME ABOUT IT!!

Call me this week. I have questions on how to make better use of my blog.

Lexie Ward said...

Testing my new name. Thanks for the help!

Chaotic Hammer said...

Awesome, I'm very happy for them. May the Lord grant them many years of happiness and health together!

I think I'm starting to feel the same way about Communion that you are, Seth. I have to admit (with a lot of guilt and shame, but just being honest) that in the past there have been times when I viewed Communion differently. I saw it as -- ritualistic, not something to be thought about carefully and taken with great seriousness, and worst of all, something that was sort of inconvenient, because I had to spit out my chewing gum, juggle the Elements while passing the big round thing to the next person, decide what to do with the little empty plastic cup, etc. (I guess that's the ultimate in selfishness and ME-Church-ism, isn't it?)

Lately, I've been sensing the wonder and awesomeness of what it means -- all of us being one Body, partaking together in something our Lord Himself did with the first of us (New Testament believers) while He was here living among us in the flesh. We've done it during our home group meetings, and I have to admit that it really is something new, and exciting, and profound when it's appreciated for what it really is.

Seth Ward said...

That is awesome C-Hammer. I remember the first time I really took communion for the first time, and meant it. It was before my wife and I started dating about 4 or 5 years ago and I had just returned to the Lord in repentance. I went to a church in Waco Texas and they passed the elements while playing 'When I survey the Wondrous Cross" I took that bread and wine and wept. It became something altogether different to me. I felt His presence in a new way there. Not in the individualistic way that we are always taught as the Priesthood of Believers way, but a part of something larger. It was beautiful and healing.

operamom said...

what a beautiful song. that makes me cry every time i hear it. i forget sometimes how powerful music can be. they seem like they are going to be a really powerful couple for the Lord.

Seth Ward said...

I was thinking the same thing. I've got a doosey up the sleeve.

Shaun Groves said...

Wow. Seth, what an honor to "be" at the wedding. I never thought of Narrow as a wedding song but it sounds like it served you guys well. Thanks for using it. Amazing.

Seth Ward said...

It was actually a pretty cool moment all around. People just stopped and watched and listened. I doubt that communion had ever been taken on that beach and the song was perfect for the moment. It's a great song my friend. Keep em' coming.

Mom(Mombe) said...

The wedding was beautiful! God has put two together as one and what an amazing story their lives will bring to others!

I love communion! We don't do enough of it. The meaning behind it signifies the great love that Christ has for His children. He wants us to always remember Him and to not forget that He's coming back for us someday! What a grand day that will be!!!

Thanks Seth for sharing this song and the precious wedding picture of Eric and Shannyn.