Thursday, August 03, 2006

The Lion Sleeps. What's the Deal with Us?

It is really hard to do the thing you really love. It is darn easy to do the things you are pretty good at. Why is this? I think we are the only animal on the planet who does this. You don't see fish trying to purposefully flop about on the shore, gasp a few breaths of dry air and flop back in. No you see them swimming about, in perfect harmony every part of their existence being used in it's perfect capacity. Until of course, they get chomped up by a bigger fish. What about lions? You don't see them pacing, trying to find things to do all day. Nope they are just out there on the African plane, sleeping their butts off, only to get up for the occasional hunt or to hump. Just chillin', doing what they do best.

No, it is the human being that champions this unique quality. For instance, you might find a lady or chap in city near you saying something like this; "You know what, I love to act. I love it more than anything. It is my passion. I think I'll be an engineer." Why do we do this? I have some ideas, but alas, it is too early in the morning to bring them into something tangible. So...., help me out here. Why are we so chicken?

4 comments:

Joey said...

Often what we love the most we fear the most. I'm not speaking of people, but of what we want to do the most. Pointless observation perhaps, but speaking of personal experience the things I've wanted to do the most required overcoming fear every time. Although hardship, technique etc is involved on many things, it's fear that must be overcomed every time. It still happens that even though I might have overcome a fear it comes back. I suppose thats the nature of fear. One more observation. Those that face this fear and truly LOVE what they are doing are looked up too, admired and many times overwhelming to those who have not faced fear.

operamom said...

joey had it right. fear of failure, fear of not making ends meet, fear of just being one of the many 100s of sopranos out there, fear of rejection--being rejected doing what we love the most, ect. ect., also, ego comes into play. wanting to be better than everyone else--if i can't be the best, i won't do it at all.

FancyPants said...

Joey and OpMom -

Couldn't agree more! This is it, I think! Fear. It definitely is for me. I feel like I constantly have to overcome it. It's worth it, though, every time.

I think, also, that Christians get obedience confused with sacrifice. We're mistaken in thinking that doing God's will means denying what we love to do. We think if we're enjoying ourselves, or pursuing a dream, that we're not following Christ. Satan lies to us and tells us that's selfish. This just can't be right!

Jesus teaches to deny ourselves and take up our cross, but I believe this occurs every day you allow Christ to live through you. No matter what you are "doing."

Susanne said...

I agree with all of your comments, but I especially liked operamama's comment about ego. We're afraid that if we really go for what we love, we might find out that we're not as good at it as we thought we were, which would take away some of our joy in doing it. If you don't try something, then you can't be rejected! I also think sometimes we don't want to do what everyone expects us to do. We want to do something unexpected and different. Then later on in life we wish we'd done what we really love.