Monday, August 21, 2006

Eve? part 2

Recently, we had a very interesting discussion going at a certain blog entry entitled "Einstein Anyone?" In this discussion we meandered into a riveting conversation about inerrancy. This discussion of inerrancy had much to do with science and how we reconcile science to the Bible or visa versa. Can it be done? Should we do this? Is the Bible scientifically accurate?

I realize that the previous "Eve?" post is difficult to understand and I left it so. I had a purpose for posting this article about the "Mitocondrial Eve". I will attempt to describe this mitochondria Eve in laymans terms. Mitochodrial Eve is the woman in History to which every single human being on earth is linked, "matrilineally" or in other words, through our moms. So if I am looking for Mitochodrial Eve I start with, -my mom, thenmy mom's mom, my grandma's mom, my great grandma's mom, my great great grandma's mom, and so forth until we reach a point in history, far enough back, where everyone on earth RIGHT NOW reaches the SAME great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandma. Give or take a few thousand greats. Believe it or not, this would take us back in history about 50,000-100,000 years. Not that far, "relatively" speaking. (HA!) Before we get too excited and start putting up pictures of google-great grandma Eve, alone in a garden chomping on an apple, we should realize that our friendly Scientists tell us wryly that other homo-sapien women living as well when our google-great grandma Eve was around. (however, this could kinda answers that question of where Cain got his wife huh?)

See, there I go. I am tempted, every time I see something like this to reconcile the Bible and the Genesis Story to these Scientific discoveries. Therein lies my conundrum. I know the bible is not a science book, however, when I hear something in science crop up for example -the fact that there are actually great springs in the ocean. Until 100 years ago we thought there were no such thing and the Bible was false about this observation. Now we know there are, - I say, see, I told you so. The Bible is true. Na na na na na Nahhh.

But oh, it gets better.

Last night I watched "Exodus Decoded" on the History channel. Without going into too many details, this explorer was able to find evidence, scientific evidence that the exodus occurred. He uncovered INCREDIBLE ancient stone carvings that depicted chariots racing through seemingly parted water chasing a man with a staff. Using the descriptions FOUND IN THE BIBLE, he uncovered the place where the REAL mount Sinai should be located. He then trekked to the top and found a natural spring where there used to be water. He also found at the top, a natural cleft where Moses could have talked to thousands and thousands of Israelites because of the natural amphitheater. The most incredible part of this James Cameron-produced special was that the explorer deciphered just who made the ARK OF THE COVENANT. He went to an exhibit and found a small replica, thousands of years old, of the Holiest of Holies. The Ark, right there, plain as day depicted in a small golden miniature. Incredibly, until now, no one has given this little golden sculpture a second thought.

to be continued...

3 comments:

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

ah, i watched that too...it was very interesting some of the points that were brought up.

Lexie Ward said...

Awesome! I wish I had seen that, and hubby too. He loves that kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing!

operamom said...

once again...hugh?
no, just kidding. i especially love Mitochondrial eve, which i almost just called mitochondrian eve, but caught myself, because it stuffs a big fat nah, nah, nah, nah in everybody's face who says, "wouldn't that just be impossible and frankly, gross, if we all came from one woman? that makes no sense." well, nah, nah, nah nah!