Friday, May 19, 2006

Oasis

Most of you know Houston as a haven for mosquitoes, smog, crossdressers, traffic, hatred for Albert Pujols, and Squelching-hot-cuss-word-invoking-humid days. When I first moved here I wondered what the first settlers must have thought.

First Settler Husband: "Whooooaaaa bessie! (horse brings covered wagon to stop) "Hey Darlin! Take a look out side! (pauses and looks in amazement) "Just look at them mosquitoes would ya. Do ya feel that heat?!

First Settler Wife: "I sure do sugar plum! My goodness! Just take a gander at that bay! I have never imagined ocean water sooo brown and crappy."

F.S.H.: (leans in to his wife and whispers reeeall tender) "kinda reminds me of yer hair sugarplum"

F.S.W. "OHH I do declare you nasty, naughty cowboy!"

(the two in -love settlers giggle and retreat into their covered wagons and come back out in 4.25 minutes. While they are inside the horse collapses with heat exhaustion)

F.S.H. "Well would you look at that. Old dollar likes it so much he's gonna take himself a nap."

F.S.W. "It sure is crappy out here. LETS SETTLE DOWN!!"

F.S.H. "Anything for you my little desert cactus"


Something like that.


So in the midst of the humidity, endless traffic and road work, pittiful drivers, and cussword-inducing heat, there lies a quaint oasis. My little French Bakery. This French Bakery is located in Rice Village. When you walk in the doors you feel like you have walked into a little bakery in Europe. Thats probably why they named it "The French Bakery." When eating your meal you might hear conversations in several different languages as it attracts those who miss their homeland. But that isn't the best part, it only provides the atmosphere for my delight.

Now I love me some food. I wait in anticipation for it. As a matter of fact each evening feels a bit like Christmas. I can appreciate a good and fine meal like one appreciates a work of art or architecture. It does not matter if it is a hamburger or a Filet Mignon, if it is made with care and love, my taste buds will be forever thankful. Confucius say: "Happy is the Seth whose meal is full of flavor." (cue Chinese gong) So lets just call the French Bakery Santa in an apron.

So I have decided to share some photos from my little oasis for your Friday evening pleasure.

Have fun at the Da Vinci Code!!!

Behold my little oasis.












Will you just take a moment and behold the beauty of this banquet of delight. GOOD LORD.










This is my favorite seat at my little oasis. I often feel sorry for the person sitting in this seat when I arrive. I will sit in no other seat so I usually come up to the table and begin vocalizing in my best Pavarotti immitation picking my nose and staring out the window longingly. OR I act as though I am a bus-boy and inform them that I forgot to wipe the table after a elderly man barfed his ham and egg quiche on the table before they arrived. Either tactic usually works like a charm.

14 comments:

The Fal said...

What a lovely little French bakery. I love little holes in the wall with amazing food and low prices. If you and Amber ever come to NY, we will take y'all La Bonne Soupe. It is our favorite French hole in the wall. By the way, if you ever have to write down that the old man barfed to a deaf, Frenchman, it is spelled "quiche". That way there is no misunderstanding while trying to get your favorite table. :)

Anonymous said...

My NYC oasis was Rose & Joe's Italian Bakery in Astoria. Best Sicilian slice in the city.

And in Waco? ... uhhh... does Best Buy count?

Seth Ward said...

thanks lindsey. Two things to say about that.

1. I cheated in spelling in the 4th grade.

2. Spell check on Blogger sucks.

actually 3 things.

3. YES we would like to go to New York and go on a double to La Bonne Soupe. Good Lord yes.

Catch, Waco lost its last oasis when Big Daddys went south. Don't they have "the Grape" or something? of course theres always Cups if you need a good lube job.

Kat, next time we make it out that way, i'll tell you and you can remind me where to stop.

The Fal said...

Cach, I will have to check out Rose & Joes's b/c I love Astoria. My favorite place there is Stamatiz...I've always said if I wasn't Sicilian/Italian, I would be Greek.
Seth, I am a terrible speller too. Besides, do they teach French spellings in 4th grade? I wouldn't survive without spellcheck (I am even pondering if spellcheck is one word!)
Please let us know if y'all ever head to NY. Y'all know our house (small but cozy NY apartment) is open. Or, we can just hit the amazing restaurants.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, Rose & Joe's is right at the bottom of the stairs when you get off the W at it's last stop on Ditmars. It's greatness.

Seth, yes we still have the Grape. That is a good oasis too. The owner is a friend. I should hang out there more. Wine, anyone?

The Fal said...

Thanks Cach. I'll totally check it out.

operamom said...

you are so freakin' funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am crackin' up like a mo-fo. sorry to use such nasty slang. especially around you christians. don't repeat me, or let any of that soak into your sub-conscious. anyway, you really are good for a laugh. thanx.

FancyPants said...

Fellow Wacoans: what about Siete Mares? (pronounced See-eh-teh Mah-rehs, like, in Spanish) Has anyone been there? Arguably the best food in town. And it really is a hole in the wall. You'd never guess it would be so good.

Hey Linds! Oh-My-Gosh-that's it. We're coming to NY. Is that where you are now?

Well, what the heck? We could just all make a grand rendevous! You, Alex, me, Seth, Cach, the wife????
Anyone else want to join us? =-)

Seth Ward said...

OH MY GOSH YUMMYY!

How could I forget the best kept secret in Wacco?...Siete Mares...mmmm. If I were in Waco I would be eating there tonight.

Its BYOB I believe. Thats bring your own beef to you Amber my sweet.

The Fal said...

Amber, we would have a blast in good ole NY. I am not there yet. I leave for MI for an eight week gig, but come Aug., my address will be in the state of NY. I'm glad you like my comments. I have enjoyed reading the blogs. Do you ever blog anywhere? I do on myspace, but they aren't nearly as cool as Seth's. :)

FancyPants said...

Thank you Seth my dearest, for the ever so thoughtful reminder of my accidental substitution of the word "Beef" for the word "Beer" in the well-known acronym: BYOB. Perhaps we should make it clear to our readers here at The Stand that no, you do not in fact bring your own beef to Siete Mares. However, you are encouraged, if you so desire, to bring your own alcolhol. And most of these refined citizens of Waco, TX actually bring wine. BYOW. There.

Linds, I usually leave the blogging up to Seth. Perhaps I can encourage him to write a blog entry EXPLAINING to our readers why I would confuse BYOBeer with BYOBeef. For there is a very good and reasonable explanation.

Seth Ward said...

Awe lindsey, you need to come on over to Blogger. There lies the the answer to the question of Coolness. Joining blogger lowers the degrees of your coolness by at least 20 degrees. Just look at that Photo of Cachinator. It was taken when he published his very first blog on Blogger. The extra coolness put him in a state of hysteria for at least 45 seconds. Although it was probably amplified by his dogs Licking between his toes.

The Fal said...

You see, I am not worthy of the coolness that is Blogger. I have tried to upload a photo, and well, my coolness is not at the level required by Blogger b/c it still ain't happening. I may just copy/paste all my blogs from myspace w/o pictures just to be slightly cooler in my life.

Anonymous said...

Siete Mares. Good stuff. I slobber. Come on up, we've got a double date!