Saturday, May 06, 2006

All-American Date

Houston, the place where Mexicans, whites, blacks, Jews, Arab Americans, Asians, pollution, humidity, traffic, heat indexes that soar above the tolerance level, bad drivers, oil, gas, road-work-that-makes-the-city-look-like-a-war-zone, gays, straight, boths, Christians, atheists, killers, Saints, Ed Youngs, and Joel Olsteens, pretties, uglies, steal-and-concrete-forests, the best Galleria in the world, Hurricanes, THE place for Tex-Mex, oil-tycoons, Enron scandals,... all meet to form a little place where the locals like to call, H-town. This is where my wife and I have lived for the past 4 years and this is where we had our All-American date last night.

It is something that was really invented in America you know. I know, I know, I like to get creative and surprise my Lady with something out of the ordinary as much as I can, which is not often enough, but there is something about this Date format that is just so darn fun. You get dressed up, but not too dressed up. You put on the clothes that you are most fond of, for me that would be my AC/DC t-shirt, some jeans and a torn-up blazer with some vintage cowboy boots, for Amber a comfie fun frilly skirt, a cool Beatles t-shirt and a nifty little hat.

Get in the car and your feelin' hungry. You think, "oh man, I cant wait to get my hands on those warm rolls, dip them in Olive Oil and garlic, and slurp down a nice glass of Sweet tea" My mind then is flooded with images and sounds from the trailer and reviews of the movie that we are going to watch after. A shot of sheer glee flows through my body. I feel like a kid again. "So this is how Madeline felt" I think to myself.

We were at my sister's house and had decided to take her little 3 year old blue eyed strawberry-blonde haired little daughter outside to play. She is just at that age where 25% of what she say is understandable to other people other than her mother so when she says something clear and concise it is kind of astounding. She was carrying her apple juice and telling us something that we couldn't really understand. She was excited; she's goin' outside. Then she looked down took a drink of her apple juice from her sippy cup looked at the sippy cup and said, clear as day, "oh my apple juice is sooooo yummy." All that mattered to her at that second was the apple juice. The sheer elation of being alive without even being aware of the emotions. Just living in the moment. Apple Juice. "MY apple juice is soooo yummy."

"My sweet tea, my Carabas dinner and Movie is SOOOOOO yummy." is how I was feeling.


Our first stop, Carabas. Now not just any old Carabas, I believe it was the original Carabas. This place is still owned by the original owners and their food is 4 notches up from the chain-Carabas and it is ALWAYS packed with the most interesting people in Houston. Nary a hick cometh within 5 miles of this Carabas. That sounded really snobbish, but you get a little tired of the looks from people if you don't have a 1954 buzz hair cut and don't spit tobacco out yer front teeth.

The next stop, our favorite theatre to watch the newest installment of the Couch-hoppin Cruse franchise, MI3.

A LITTLE MOVIE REVIEW OF MI3

I must say that this MI3 FAR surpasses the first two Mission Impossibles. Although the first Mission Impossible was fun and campy, the Second Mission Impossible, directed by Wu, SUCKED. How much slow-motion can we cram into a picture and pleeeeaasse what's with all the friggin doves??? Anyway, this picture was as exciting although not nearly as original as either Bourne Identity movies and was obviously influenced by them in their action sequences.

If you are looking for a good edge-of-your-seat action movie with lots of guns, cool camera angles, plenty of PG smootching and lots of killin' then this is your movie. No "titsploitation" in this movie. (see comments on Just God Business post for explanaion of titsploitation) My only beef with this movie is that is still so derivative of other great action movies. Tom seems to see a good action movie and then tell his hand-picked director that he wants the same kind of feel for his next installment of Mission Impossible.

The only original move in the Mission Impossible franchise is the plummet-to-the-ground-stop-inches-before-you-splat move. The rest is pretty much ripped from other action movies. In MI2, I could not tolerate the plagiarism carnage, i.e. endless Matrix mimicry. In this movie, I did not mind so much. Maybe it is because they did not give us enough time to think about it. I don't know, maybe I was waiting to see Tom flip out or show some sign of his recent exposed insanity. For whatever reason, the movie worked for me. I recommend it. Not Kill Bill or Lord of The Rings recommend it, but you'll have fun. All-American-yummy-apple-juicy fun.

13 comments:

operamom said...

I think the MI movies are all great. Yes, they are not wierd or deranged the way that "Satan's Perspective," Kill Bill is. Or any of that Pycho's other movies are. However, that is what is so down-right charming about them. Just plain fun. I for one get a big kick out of Mission Impossible 2's cliff-hanger scene. That is my all time favorite action scene ever!!!!! So cool. Yummy juice cool. And, MI 2's scenes are very different in that they are kind of slow motion romantic. Like the scene where he sees the beautiful lady at the party. almost a rip-off Romeo and juliet's charm. I like the incorporation of Romance and action in that movie. Anyway, enough about that. I loved your date with your really cute wife. I am glad that you can obviously enjoy the simple things.

Joey said...

I just love kids. They are not tainted by social expectations or hard choices. They are so honest and true to what the feel in the moment. I wish I could return more often to that perspective.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see MI 1 or 2, so I don't really plan on seeing 3. I am stoked about the Pirate's sequel coming out, though. Hope there's other good non-suckage hitting the big screens this summer. It would be nice if X3 didn't suck.

Anonymous said...

You two are cute together, by the way. It looks like you had a great time. Keep it up!

Seth Ward said...

I am totally stoked about the pirates movie also. Well at least the trailer to Superman looks good. I think X3 probably wont suck. I don't know, we have had a good 6 years of good summer movie runs with the Star Wars, Spiderman, etc. we may be in for a dry spell.

i am a sucker for movies so i'll go even if they suck I guess. but seriously, this last MI3 wasn't bad. You might like it. I am pretty hard on movies so who knows.

cheers my friend-

Seth Ward said...

Oh I LOVE that place. I think we are thinking of the same place anyways. I didn't know that you lived in Houston!

Yes, the only other place that I think can one-up Houston on variety and quality in the food category is the Big Apple. Although I have not been everywhere so... It is just that the zoning in Houston is so strange which provides the environment for loads of interesting non-chain food places.

I am a sucker for Chilies like everyone else but MAN do these food places around here rock. Another fav. of ours is Empire Cafe.

Chaotic Hammer said...

Hey, it's great to hear about life in Houston. I grew up there, mostly in Katy, but left a few years after high school. When I decided last year that it was time to flee California, my wife and I seriously considered moving back to that area (still a lot of friends and family there). But it has changed a lot from the way I remember it -- it seems too congested and insane for us now. But, we're older than you guys, and were looking for something a little slower-paced.

In the end, Nashville won us over. We love it here -- but you won't hear me dissing my old hometown. I can certainly relate to the charms of that area, and all the uh, heat and humidity, and uh... mosquitos and cockroaches... uh, and murders and violence, yeah... and pollution and... wait, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, the good things there...uh...

Chaotic Hammer said...

Sorry, that was bad. I just couldn't resist. My brother still lives there, and one of my best friends in the world. I'm just joshin' with you guys.

I do miss the good Tex-Mex food especially. It's pretty sad what they call "Mexican food" here in Tennessee.

Seth Ward said...

Oh man you will NOT here me disagreeing with you about H-town and its nastiness. I had to overcome an absolute haaaaatred of the weather and pollution by the sheer power of the spirit. When it comes down weather and quality of living, Nashville all the way. I love the weather in that place. I spent most of my life in Missouri so i am prone to seasons and Nashville is downright magical in the fall and spring.

Seriously, the last time we moved apartments in 104 degrees, when i got everything in the U-haul i almost just kept truckin' up the highway to cooler climates.

Thanks for stopping by!

Did i read on Kat's blog that you are a drummer?

Joey said...

I gotta say... I love H-town as much as I hate it.

Chaotic Hammer said...

Seth - Yep, a drummer. But I haven't really played in a year (my drums are still boxed up from our move here). With all the re-settling and re-modeling we've done, drums were very low on the list of priorities.

I don't feel like Nashville really needs one more musician anyway. Heck, in our home group with about 15 adults, only two can't play musical instruments (my wife is one of them). And the leader of the group is a very accomplished studio drummer that spent years and years studying music theory and percussion in college.

I'm just a talentless hack. :-)

FancyPants said...

It seems that all of us Houstonites here are both loving and hating this place at the same time. I couldn't agree more. This town is finally growing on me. It took me a while. But the food and excellent thrift stores are winning me over. Has anyone been to the store downtown on...shucks...I forgot, but the owner's name is Ronnie. It's all used furniture and old stuff, some retro, some not. He'll sell you an amazing sturdy coffee table with a ton of character for 60 bucks. AND...the Texas junk store...home of over 1000 pairs of used boots. Anyway...

I love Empire Cafe. Love it, love it, love it. And Ruggles, that's a good one, though quite pricey. And Mama's! Open until 4 AM.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»