Saturday, May 27, 2006

Church History and Slash

So I decided to go down to the pool with the wife today to shed some light on my radiantly white flesh. I flipped open my Church History book for some ...light reading and slipped in the ear plugs connected to my very nifty Ipod Shuffle. I had forgotten what songs I loaded on my shuffle and was at first pleasantly greeted with Johnny Cash singing "When the Man Comes Around."

"This is a good soundtrack for Church History" I thought, and turned to the section on the Crusades. I was plowing my way through valiant sword fight after sword fight in the name of our Lord when to my surprise, the tender guitar stylings of a certain "Slash" from "Guns 'n Rose"s started oozing its way from my external ear into my eardrum which caused me to float against my will back to my adolescence. I immediately shut those painful memories of awkwardness down, stopped my reading, and began to listen to "Sweet Child of Mine" with new ears. I then remembered that my favorite guitar solo is found in this song. As a matter of fact, for me, this song holds the greatest electric guitar moment of the 80's. Right before the grunge crappers and Nirvana knock-offs stormed the radio, Slash was king. He was the last great guitar player that ruled the radio waves and he was the last of his kind. Back when Rock Stars were not caricature of themselves. Back when the myth was real and when the man with the long curly hair crowned with a large top-hat picked up his guitar it was if a god had descended from Asgard to hypnotize his fans into new levels of Rock ecstasy. (All before we found out they were just drunken stupid losers who were mostly miserable unless they were drunk or stoned into oblivion.) Before MTV created the video Rock Star, someone who looks "cool" at all times. So cool that every spoken sentence is rehearsed mentally before they say it. Before labels had to create the image of the myth for the sole reason of capitol gain.


If you have not listened to Sweet Child of mine for a while I encourage you to turn it on. When you do, you will notice something peculiar and unexpected. These guys were pretty darn good musicians. Slash's solo is worked out like a fine Sonata. It is beautiful and powerful. Now, I realize that no one will ever achieve the raw power of creativity and force of nature that was Jimmy Hendrix but Slash gave us the bookend to this era. You can find no finer moment in Rock Guitar history than in Sweet Child of Mine. And what a song. Who writes songs like this anymore? It begins with a Guitar solo then goes to a verse/chorus then another Guitar interlude, not too showy, then another verse/chorus and Guitar solo, a little showier than the first. Then a bridge to another guitar solo except this time the solo takes us to a new place, major turns to minor and the solo builds to a climax as fine as any musical development can deliver. Finally the song ends with a CODA!!!! A section that has very little to do with the rest of the song but bursts with new energy delivering something that we had not expected but love. Can't you hear it now ...'Where do we go now? Where do we gowooo oooo where do we go now...?" YESS!!!! CAN YOU FEEL IT???!! Come on people get out those air guitars and go to work! What the heck, break out the Air Drums while you're at it! Relive those glory days of your youth. Simultaneiously remember what it was like to be 12 years old and in love with rock and roll AND what it feels like to be inside of the psyche of someone who works at Guitar Center RIGHT NOW.

Sweet dreams.

So, it's confession time. What is your Sweet Child of Mine moment...i.e. your favorite 80s rock song? I am all ears...

11 comments:

FancyPants said...

Bon Jovi. "Livin' On A Prayer."

Ohhhh! We're half way there. Ohh--ohh! Livin' on a prayer!

Chaotic Hammer said...

Does it have to be from the 80's? I'm a little older than you guys.

No, I'm just kidding (um, sort of) because my song selection is from 1980 (technically the U.S. release was in December 1979, but close enough...)

Pink Floyd, Comfortably Numb.

Seth Ward said...

No, the 70's will do nicely! excellent tune btw.

Anonymous said...

Dokken - In my dreams. Got that one and most of my other 80's rock through my big brother who had the feathered long hair and everything. He was so cool.

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

unfortunately i don't remember the 80s for i was too young, but i do enjoy several of elton john, bon jovi, and afew others. *shrugs*

operamom said...

anything def leopard. if only I could spell "def leopard." sorry, too lazy to look it up.

Seth Ward said...

Oh man, Dokken. What a band. Haven't heard that name in a while. HA!!

I looked it up operamama its Def Leppard. Huh?? Anyway, I used to be a Def Leppard fan myself. all great memories. I wanted long hair and an earing soooo bad but my dad threatened to yank it out if I ever came home with one.

ouch.

FancyPants said...

Well, OK, I'll admit this. I wasn't so much into hair bands. But I wanted to be Debbie Gibson.

Electric Youth and I Get Lost in Your Eyes.

Even had the perfume.

Anonymous said...

I do it up old school, baby. Tell me that when Nightmare on Elm Street came out, Dokken's Dream Warriors wasn't the coolest song there ever was. Old school.

monotonous said...

only ever one song.sweet childo mine.
the starting part in the video when the shoot starts.slash plugs the guitar.then beep beep beep beeep. and then.....
we all kno wht happens

Seth Ward said...

Peter Gabriel is another Fav of mine. Have you ever heard him sing Summertime??? It is amazing. Go download it off of Itunes.

Sledgehammer is one of my all-time fav's still.