Monday, May 29, 2006

And the Listeners Cried Out

LONDON (AFP) - An English radio station said it has banned songs by British crooner James Blunt from its airwaves after listeners said they were fed up with hearing "You're Beautiful" and "Goodbye My Lover".

ADVERTISEMENT
Chris Cotton, programme controller of local radio Essex FM in southern England, said: "We don't have anything against James Blunt and we're pleased he has been so successful, but we really need a break."

The music industry exerts a lot of pressure on radio stations to play certain artists' music over and over again, Cotton said.

"Often this can be out of step with the audience's tastes, which results in songs being overplayed," he said. "We're happy to stand up to this pressure and follow the strong message listeners have given us. We encourage other radio stations to take the same step."

Despite this minor setback, Blunt has enjoyed phenomenal success since his voice first emanated from radio stations across the world last year.

"You're Beautiful" topped the charts in 25 countries.

In March, the former army officer became the first British artist to reach the number one slot in the US Billboard chart in nine years.

His album, "Back To Bedlam" has sold more than seven million copies worldwide


One of the things that I appreciate about our Local Houston Station KSBJ is that they are listener supported and they initated an online music panel that ANY listener can participate in. It is not just left up to a room full of soccer moms per say but anyone can participate in these surveys and comment and vote.

8 comments:

operamom said...

soccer moms eh? You is talkin' about me! Just kidding. No, but I do enjoy KSBJ thoroughly. as a mom, it ministers to my life day by day.
I know that christian music artists can feel discouraged sometimes, but not to be to sentimental here--you guys have no idea what a ministry you have to people like me. thanx.

Anonymous said...

Yay for giving the listners what they want. Double yay for getting rid of that whiny Steve Nash look-a-like.

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

many many fond memories are surrounded with KSBJ. I grew up listening to that radio station...that's all i knew until my freshman year of high school. (oddly enough) But what God does with that station is absolutely amazing...and what he continues to do is so moving...i miss it up here in raiderland.

Chaotic Hammer said...

Hey, this is cool. I haven't heard anything about KSBJ for years. Many years.

Okay, I'll play the "age card" again here. I was listening to KSBJ back when they were playing -- Degarmo and Key, Leon Patillo, The Imperials, White Heart, Randy Stonehill, Leslie Phillips (before she became Sam Phillips), Keith Green, Sandi Patty, early Amy Grant and MWS, Terry Talbot, 2nd Chapter of Acts, Steve Camp, Wayne Watson, Michael Card, Carman, Andrae Crouch, Daniel Amos, David and the Giants, Farrell and Farrell, , Phil Keaggy, David Meece, Kathy Troccoli, Kelly Willard, etc.

Wow, quite a rush of memories. I used to go see a lot of concerts back in those days, some were really amazing. It's funny, because the artists in CCM today look back at that time period as "the origins of CCM", but we didn't think it was that big of a deal at the time, it was just musicians who loved Jesus, playing music and singing for Him.

KSBJ also used to have one night a week, I think it was Saturday, where they played much "harder" rock music than the rest of the week. Do they still do that?

One of the bands they played a lot back then on Saturday nights was Ark Angel. Their vocalist was named Kemper Crabb, who would later go on to do some excellent solo stuff, like The Vigil. Awesome stuff. I think Kemper is still around the Houston area -- one of my old friends from there said he still stays in touch with him.

Uh... sorry to ramble on. You've sparked lots of memories. :-)

Seth Ward said...

Yeah, the people at KSBJ see really great. I especially like Susan and Jim. They have a nice chemistry on air. Wow, did I talk to you about KSBJ a while back on Shlaun's blog? Something about Ticket Servant?

So, sounds like you miss it?

FancyPants said...

I love Susan O'Donnell. I used to listen to her show in the morning, on the way to a job that I desperately did not want to be heading toward. She encouraged me daily, in a very real faith increasing way. Back in the day when I had to get up in the 5's. Ughh.

I wonder why radio stations are pressured to play the same songs over and over? I understand about reaching a certain listener pool, but what is the intent behind playing one song so much?

Chaotic Hammer said...

Seth - Were those questions you asked for me, or somebody else?

I'll answer, in case they were for me:

...did I talk to you about KSBJ a while back on Shlaun's blog?

No, I don't think it was me. I don't recall hearing or talking about KSBJ for many years. Maybe we did and I just have a poor memory.

So, sounds like you miss it?

No, not per se. I was just reflecting on some of my memories of that time in my life. I was young and new to being a Christian, and have a lot of good memories. It's not a "gee I wish I was back there again" thing, because I'm quite happy with where I am right now. It's more of a "thank you Lord for all the good things You've always given me, I look back on them fondly".

Of course, if you were asking those questions to somebody else I just look silly now. :-)

Seth Ward said...

Actually C-Hammer they were to Kat. But no worries! They work just as well for you and I am happy to hear the answers you gave.

BTW all those artists you listed brought back some serious memories.

Carmen. THE CHAMPION!!!!!!! LOL.