Thursday, May 18, 2006

Blog Highlights

I thought I would would highlight some other blogs today. I am taking without permission some quotes from other blogs to share with you some things that struck me as terrific. If you haven't sampled any of these people's blogs then I hope that this inspires you. The first quote from a discussion on Shlog about Calvinism. My friend the Cachinator can be both profound and funny, his blog usually leans to the humorous side and most of you read it anyway, so I thought I would display him fired up and on. I think he showed some real gutts to step out here and breath some fire into this comment section. When I read it, he reminded me of those old great debates our founding fathers used to have.

"...To follow Calvinist thought is to render null the Great Commission. What need would the disciples have of authority from heaven if heaven had already decided the fate of the world? How can one make disciples of all nations if disciples are made before time? And the answer is the same garbage every time: that scripture clearly means all elect nations despite the obvious fact that it is absent entirely from the text...

...And what kind of God does it create? One who cruelly dangles hope, since there is no hope in Calvinism. One who intentionally misleads people through scripture, since he does not make this doctrine clear. (Again, unless you're elect, and on the inside where the filth of the damned humans can't touch you.) And one who condemns people to do what he created them to do, and then punishes them eternally for doing what he has forced them to with no opportunity for reprieve.

...And the most awfully sad part about saying all this is that some people will dismiss it without a thought because they've been taught that I don't get it because I'm not elect. No matter how urgent the fire in my bones for God. No matter the dedication of my life to his service. Either that or I am saved, and what a lucky schmuck that makes me since I don't even believe I got there the right way. Both perspectives spit on me and my life.

Calvinist election is a salvation for heaven alone - the world here and now be damned. Literally."


Another is from Kat's blog where she told the sweet story of her little girl's innocent ability to trust God totally to find the thing that meant the world to her, her lost stuffed monkey.

"He has the power to calm the raging seas with a word. He holds the keys to life and death. And He cares about my little girl's stuffed monkey."

I needed to reminded that God cares about every thing in my life. He cares about my needs. We may laugh it off and say "well, does God REALLY care about a little girl's stuffed monkey?" Well does God really care if we get our paycheck this week? Does God really care if we find something to eat? We can be assured that the God of the universe, the God that called forth something from nothing and still holds it all together, knows our needs and meets them.

Another came from Operamama's blog about PMS.

"Lately I have decided to name my alternate personality when dealing with PMS. Essie. Short for estrogen. Every time I have a nasty, paranoid, depressed, morbid, or just plain negative thought, (more than usual, I mean) then I just say, "Down essie, Down!" It makes me feel a smidge more in control."

I can't relate but it sure was a funny read. BTW I tried that on my wife,...not a good idea.

Another highlight of this past week came from Forky's blog about the great love of his life.

"There are a few things in life I'd really rather not have. Bad acne. Seven fingers as opposed to the traditionally conservative ten. Male pattern baldness. A job at a paper mill. A forked tongue. Kidney stones.

But if there's one thing that would make me genuinely depressed to have, it'd be peanut allergies.

If I came down with peanut allergies, I know I'd cry real salt tears. Into my pillow. Every night. I might even decide to end it all by drowning myself in the one thing I love more than my nine toenails:

Peanut butter. Rich, creamy, Someone-help-I-can't-stop-eating-this PEANUT BUTTER."

A funny, funny man people. Cachinator has another name for him, but you'll have to read his blog to find out.


There are many more highlights to post but I am tired and must nap. Thanks to all for keeping me entertained and moved.

12 comments:

Tracy said...

Those were really cool highlights! I'm friends with the Cachinnator and Forky, and they are both cool,funny guys, for sure!

Anonymous said...

It's all true. Forky the Bastard is a very funny man.

operamom said...

thanks sethie.
I must say that Kat's sweet blog about her little daughter calmed "Essie" down quite a bit and made her cry tears of thankfulness.
Must go read the cachinnator's blog on Calvinism now. good stuff.
am suddenly craving...peanut butter. hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Actually, Operamama, that particular rant was over on Shlog from a few days back. My blog is currently examining that ever important theological/sociological dilemma: what's the best lip balm?

And my latest rant over on Shlog, (why I get so stirred up over there, I'll never know), has to do with women in ministry. Because not enough people hate me in my everyday life.

Seth Ward said...

Awwwe. now, nobody hates you. Who could hate the composer of Awesome Dog? BTW i am going to try some of that lip balm. I use carmex and I am convinced that it makes it worse.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you won't bee sorry! Bwa.. haa... haaa.. hmmm... hmmmwaaa... haa!

Anonymous said...

And yes, Carmex only makes it worse. It makes your lips feel waxy, dry, and medicated. Ew.

Fork said...

Hey! Did you ever get that all-natural peanut butter? Isn't it GREAT? It does take a little getting used to, but once your taste buds adjust, you'll never be able to go back! Don't forget to refrigerate it!

Excuse me. I need to clean up the drool that just poured out of my mouth from thinking about my favorite organic peanut butter. Gotta get a mop.

FancyPants said...

Cach, I heard the carmex people make it that way so that your lips will keep needing more and more Carmex! Damn capitalists.

Forky, the only problem with organic things is that they are so FREAKIN' expensive. Damn capitalists.

Seth Ward said...

kumbayaaaa my Lord...kumbayaaaaaa...

Oh hello there! Forky, yes I have tried the organic. It is far superior to Jiff. However, the wife is the real Peanut butter freakazoid in the family and I might as well ask her to give up her Lord and Savior than ask her give up her Extra Crunchy-Reduced Fat Peter Pan.

Cach, anything started by a biker hippie is alright with me.

Fork said...

Tut, tut, but that is where you're wrong, fancypants! Unless you call 15 cents "expensive", and if you do you also probably qualify for food stamps.

Check it. Next time you're in the peanut butter aisle take a look at the organic peanut butter. Sure there are some expensive brands, but there are also loads of affordable ones!

And it tastes SOOOOO GOOOOD! Oh my gosh! I'm about to spooge myself!

Er--I mean... Oh boy, that's good stuff.

FancyPants said...

Peanut Butter for 15 cents! We-hell, what am I thinkin? Quite affordable, indeed.