Monday, May 15, 2006

Imogen and Keys

I FOUND MY KEYS!!!! WHAWHOOOO!!!!! Oh dear Lord of Hosts. Thank you, thank you. I was sooooo looking forward to telling the professor at Rice who doesn't care for me in the first place that I had lost the key that he has hounded me for the past 2 weeks. I could say the hardest place to find an atheist is in a path of a tornado or in the clothes of man who has lost his wallet or keys. (A close second and third would in the mind of a teenage boy who's girlfriend has missed her period or someone who has the unfortunate luck of having a sickness that causes the old two way expulsion.)

I thought that I had lost my blasted keys Friday night at the Imogen Heap concert.

That concert was fantastic. Afterwards the wife and I were discussing the pro's and con's of amazing CD production. Imogen's new CD is fantastic. That's all there is to it. The woman has got it going on. Hide and Seek is a MUST listen. If you have not heard it, stop reading now, go to Itunes and download it for a buck. You won't regret it. For all the fun and beauty of this CD it is a monument of production. Which begs the question how to do it live. With tracks? Lame. Hybrid tracks and live? Semi-lame but less lame. Somehow she pulled it off nary a track. One talented lady.

We have run into some of this problem with our new CD. Some of the songs were highly produced but only for the purpose of making something beautiful and just downright fun. Actually the most produced tracks are the ones least likely to be played on the Radio. With a high level of production comes the cost of the performance. This is where Imogen inspired me. She has inspired me like Mute Math has inspired me. You CAN do interesting electronic things live. I have seen Bjork do her thing but she always seems to have a couple of computer genius geeks stirring their computer cauldrons performing live computer stunts possible only for the most freakishly brilliant mutant computer nerdoramas.

Mute Math and Imogen seemed to make it look doable AND believable. The fusion of electronica and Acoustic/traditional rock elements is accessible according to what I have witnessed.

Anywho, some pictures from the concert for your evening glimpse into our fun little world!

G'night all.


Me before the concert. Little did I know my keys were hiding at the place I got my tasty tea.









Me and my fascinatingly beautiful Wife Amber.










Imogen doin' her thing.










Me and the Wife again in concert enjoying some music and forbidden Baptist Joy Juice.







Imogen singing hide and seek using her "Keytar" to create the beauty of Hide and Seek.

12 comments:

Simon said...

Glad you found your keys.

operamom said...

Is forbidden baptist joy juice beer? Enlighten me. You guys look to hip-happenin' for words.

Seth Ward said...

Don't play coy with me operamama. Don't you know that Baptist joy juice is the Holy Spirit?

The Fal said...

Seth,
You know it is so funny...I have never heard of Imogen Heap, but now she is (I didn't even know she was a she)everywhere I turn. I feel I am supposed to check out her music more. Great pics.
Please tell Amber, "hello," back.

FancyPants said...

I stood mesmerized at this concert. And STOOD is exactly what I did, for 4 HOURS. I vote that Warehouse Live get some chairs. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be hip and all, to all stand around, sweating on each other and pushing toward the front stage, but OUCH.

But mesmerized I was, so it was OK. To be able to sing like she does, while sampling, playing back, switching instruments, using a Mac, and dancing around like a crazy girl is pretty amazing. I loved it.

Fork said...

Now is this "Imogen" pronounced like "Imogene" or "Emma Jean"? It looks like it's pronounced "em-OH-gin".

People need to spell their names like normal people! I can't imogen why they'd spell it any other way!

Seth Ward said...

I have an aunt whos name is Ima Jean. (pronounced with an Oklahoma accent)

However they do not share the same pronunciation. It is pronounced Im (him) o (crack-hoe) gen (gentle annie)

FancyPants said...

Here, Forky...

IH-moh-gen (soft g, not hard)

Unless you just want to call her Himhogentleannie.

lol

Seth Ward said...

Lindsey, I will for sure!!! 

Yeah everyone is hearing about her and she NEVER gets radio play. Behold the power of the Internet and the new generation of listeners.

Fancy, 

The only gripe I had about the whole concert was that we stood there for almost 2 hours without a peep from the stage. Coming out over an hour late is a bit much for me. ESPECIALLY if your audience is standing on their feet cramped together like a bunch of Oprah fans fighting for free SUV's.

Chaotic Hammer said...

Seth - This is totally off the subject, but I think you need to turn on the Word Verification feature on your blog.

You've got a couple of recent entries here that have been spammed in the comments section.

Yes, people actually write programs that wander around spamming blog comments, to create links back to their stupid sites.

Seth Ward said...

suggestion taken. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reccomendation. I liked Frou Frou, but I never followed Imogen over to her solo work. I'm slow. (I was the kid who had to wear a helmet to school in elementary.) She's great!