Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Last Day Of Teaching

I drove to class yesterday realizing it would be the last day I would be teaching at Rice University. As I drove down Shepherd Street, shrouded by the canopy of 100-year-old oak trees, I was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude. It has been a great blessing to teach here this long. Most DMA students get 2 years of teaching at most, but my students gave me such stellar reviews each year that the faculty and the dean opted to have me teach for 4 years straight! That sounds like bragging but it is really just all-out thankfulness. We are talking about a guy who HATED music theory with all his heart his freshman year of college. I gave my theory teachers pure hell.

In the past 4 years I have taught theory to most of the undergraduates at that great music school. It has been extremely rewarding and a total blast. As that chapter of my life closes and new ones open, I am excited to see what God is putting in place. I am going to miss teaching at Rice but I am seriously pumped about the next thing on the roster. I'll keep you posted as things develop.

To my students reading, thanks for a great year and I'll see you around.

No comments: