YAHOO! MOVIE TALK
Who Was Overlooked in the '100 Greatest Movie Character' List?
by Jonathan Crow
December 2, 2008
Any time anyone compiles a "Best of" list they are practically begging for an argument. And British movie magazine Empire has thrown down the gauntlet by releasing its list of the 100 greatest movie characters of all time. Here are their choices for the top 25:
25. Yoda (Empire Strikes Back)
24. Ash (Evil Dead)
23. Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)
22. Red (The Shawshank Redemption)
21. Michael Corleone (The Godfather series)
20. Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump)
19. Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction)
18. Travis Bickle (Taxi Driver)
17. Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
16. Neo (The Matrix trilogy)
15. Ferris Bueller (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
14. The Terminator (The Terminator series)
13. Gollum (The Lord of the Rings trilogy)
12. John McClane (Die Hard series)
11. James Bond (007 series)
10. Vito Corleone (The Godfather I & II)
9. Ellen Ripley (Alien quadrology)
8. Captain Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy)
7. The Dude (The Big Lebowski)
6. Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones series)
5. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)
4. Han Solo (Star Wars trilogy)
3. The Joker (The Dark Knight)
2. Darth Vader (Star Wars series)
1. Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
My critique of this list: By Seth Ward
WHAT!!!!!!?????? Tyler Durden????? Number ONE???? OVER DARTH FRIGGIN VADER??????
NOT ----A ----- CHANCE.
Okay, he was a good character. Okay, it was a pretty cutting edge movie. Okay Brad Pitt is cool. Good actor. B+, at best. Enviable abs. But... OVER VITO CORLEONE? Are we talking about the same guy who starred in that film-abomination/dramatic-comedy, Legends of the Fall????
I don't even have the words for this lunacy. I could see putting him in AFTER or somewhere in the 50's, or maybe even in the 80's after Rooster in True Grit, or Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider, or Bob in What About Bob, or E.T., or Vincent or Jules in Pulp Fiction, or Harry Potter or George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life... or Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor... or John in Die Hard ...
But numero UNO??? I had to look up some smiling pics of Brad in that movie to see if he had bad teeth or something for the Brit's to make that blunder.
What do you guys think? Worthy of the number 1 slot??? I'm almost slightly sick over this one.