Sunday, September 24, 2006

Stars

I miss the Stars. How can one expect to dream great dreams without being able to see the stars. Kant said, "two things keep me in a constant state of wonder, the starry sky above, and the moral law within." Incidentally this was a quote that a little known composer by the name of Beethoven used to carry around in his pocket.

October is my favorite month in Missouri. There is nothing quite like it. I hear Nashville is the same way. There is this one tree starting to turn colors in my Parent's back yard and it looks like it has sprung a thousand blooming rosebuds. It is incredible. The air is crisp and clean. You can smell the faint hint in the night air of people firing-up their hearths. Halloween decorations are appearing and the town is starting to have a festive cozy feel to it. Makes me want to go on a Hay-ride. From start to finish October is the most beautiful month of the year in Missouri. It is also primo star-gazing time. It is just cool enough for a good coat but not too cool. You can't quite see your breath but your nose gets cold after 20 minutes. Especially when you have a honker like mine.

The best part about the climate is that you can literally sit for hours under the stars and let your mind go wild.

When I was a kid, I used to sit on my back porch under the stars and imagine taking a trip to each one. My dad had a copy of "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan and I spent each night at the tender age of 11, in my room after star-gazing, turning the pages and dreaming of different worlds. 20 years later and I am still dreaming. Still flipping pages.

"But no, I was out for stars:
I would not come in.
I meant not even if asked,
And I hadn't been."
-Frost

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Growing up in Abilene (Texas, not Kansas), about 10 miles outside of town, I was far enough away from any major lighting to get the most beautiful view of the night sky. If I go too long without stopping to admire the stars in the sky, I feel that I loose something of myself. Still, to this day, when I need to seek peace I find that it comes beneath the unbound heavens.

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

Euphorny: i totally understand. I'm living in Lubbock right now, and sometimes you can't help but just look up at the wonderful west-texas sunset and watch the starts start to dot the sky with thier glorious wonder. I always love trying to find the moon with this flat surroundings, because i have seen the most beautiful moons ever. The west-texas sky never ceases to amaze me.

Lexie Ward said...

Some of the most romantic times I've spent with my husband have been lying on the trampoline in the back yard, gazing at the stars...

Seth Ward said...

Texas Starry nights are amazing. The only problem is that I have been in Houston for the past 4 years. I am luck to catch the moon.

"If I go too long without stopping to admire the stars in the sky, I feel that I loose something of myself."

Amen to that brother.

Lexie, Why would anyone waist money on Marraige enrichment seminars when they have a perfectly good Trampoline under the stars in their backyard.

Susanne said...

My best stargazing memories were in Mississippi. In college, some of us would drive out from "town," pull over on the side of the road, and lie down on the hoods of our cars to look at the stars. I remember the smell of pine trees and magnolias. I'm homesick...guess it's time for a visit!

Seth - bring us back some of that cool weather!!