Friday, April 07, 2006

Teaching pt. 2


"I am going to cut off your foot and throw it out the window" (spoken with a deep bulgarian-woman accent)


these were the kind of phrases i used to hear on a weekly basis during my piano lessons with Krassimira Jordan. Some people do not realize how intense private music lessons can be. A teacher is truley like a scultpure sometimes. The get out a great big hammer and chizzle, and go to pounding. Sometimes they knock off a little ego, and replace it with beauty, and sometimes they knock a little tooooo hard and "David" left without his twig and berries. That seemed to happen to me quite a few times in my lessons with Krassimira. She used to say "fuckus fingerrrs Set!, fuckus fingers!!" translation: "focused fingers Seth, focused fingers!" it was all i could do to not burst into to hysterical chuckling when she would burst into these little accidental profanities.

After all the great comments like, "you know Seth, that Mozart melody would sound beautiful if you got rid of TRACTOR IN YOUR LEFT HAND!!" Or, "use the pedal here,....NO NOT LIKE HORSE, ....gentle....yesss....now fuckused fingers Set..." I could say that I learned more about myself in those lessons than any other time with any person besides my wife. It was more than just piano lessons, it was charachter building and i love my piano teacher for the blood sweat and friggin funny comments she poured into my artistry.

Thanks Krassimira.

2 comments:

Ineke said...

Lol at the fuckused fingers! Can really picture you there.

Seth Ward said...

thanks for reading! she is somethng else. every lesson had a fantastically funny comment.