Saturday, April 29, 2006

How its done 101. Prof. Bono

This is an excerpt taken from that terrific book/interview "Bono In Conversation with Michka Assayas"













Bono: (talking about debt relief in third world countries)... And whatever thoughts you have about God, who He is or if He exists, most will agree that if there is a God, God has a special place for the poor. The poor are where God lives. So these politicians should be nervous, not me.

Michka:"I'm surprised at how easily religion comes up in your answers, whatever the question is. How com you're always quoting the Bible? Was it because it was taught at school? Or because your father or mother wanted you to read it?

Bono: It's strange, I couldn't know. Whenever I hear people talking from the Scriptures, I always manage to be able to see past their sort of personality, to see past the difficulties of the environment I was listening to them, and the hypocrisy. I always manage to get to the content.

Michka: "When was the first time something happened when you thought about a line from the Scriptures? When you first said to yourself: Yes, I can see beyond that and see how it applies to such and such situation?

Bono: "Let me try to explain something to you, which I hope will make sense of the whole conversation. But maybe that's a little optimistic. This was not the first time, but I remember coming back from a very long tour. I hadn't been at home. Got home for Christmas, very excited of being in Dublin. Dublin at Christmas is cold, but it's lit up like a Carnival in the cold. On Christmas Eve, I went to St. Patrick's Cathedral. I had done school there for a year. It's where Jonathan Swift was dean. Anyway, some of my Church of Ireland friends were going. It's kind of a tradition on Christmas Eve to go, but I'd never been. I went to this place, sat. I was given a really bad seat, behind one of the huge pillars. I couldn't see anything. I was sitting there, having come back from Tokyo, or somewhere like that. I went for the singing, because I love choral singing. But I was falling asleep, being up for a few days, traveling, because it was a bit boring, the service, and I just started nodding off, I couldn't' see a thing. Then I started to try and keep myself awake studying what was on the page. It dawned on me for the first time, really. It had dawned on me before, but it really sank in: the Christmas story. The idea of God, if there is a force of Love and Logic in the universe, that it would seek to explain itself is amazing enough. That it would seek to explain itself and describe itself by becoming a child born in straw poverty, in shit and straw... a child... I just thought: Wow! Just the poetry... Unknowable love, unknowable power, describes itself as the most vulnerable. There is was. I was sitting there, and it's not that it hadn't struck me before, but tears came down my face, and I saw the genius of this, utter genius of picking a particular point in time and deciding to turn on this. Because that's exactly what we were talking about earlier: love needs to find form, intimacy needs to be whispered. To me, it makes sense. It's actually logical. It's pure logic. Essence has to manifest itself. It's inevitable. Love has to become an action or something concrete. It would have to happen. There must be an incarnation. Love must be made flesh. Wasn't that your point earlier?

Michka: As I think I am beginning to understand religion because I have started acting and thinking like a father. What do you make of that?

Bono: Yes, I think that's normal. It's a mind-blowing concept that the God who created the Universe might be looking for company, a real relationship with people, but the thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma.

Michka: I haven't heard you talk about that.

Bono: I really believe we've moved out of the realm of Karma into Grace.

Michka: Well, that doesn't make it clearer for me.

Bono: You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put our comes back to you: an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics-every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It's clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the Universe. I'm absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "As you reap, so will you sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like and consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff.

Michka: I'd be interested to hear that.

Bono: That's between me and God. But I'd be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. I'd be in deep shit. It doesn't excuse my mistakes, but I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins on the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity.

Michka: The son of God who takes away the sins of the world. I wish I could believe in that.

Bono: But I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb. I love the idea that God says: "Look, you cretins, there are certain results to the way we are, to selfishness, and there's mortality as part of your very sinful nature, and, let's face it, you're not living a very good life, are you? There are consequences to actions." The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us, and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That's the point. It should keep us humbled...It's not our own good works that get us through the gates of Heaven.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's genius that you witness and think, "I could never do that or be that, so I shouldn't even try." Then there's genius that so inspires you to do and be more and more that you think, "I must do that. I must be that. I must at least try." The latter is valuable. Bono is such a man. He's not a god and not a saint. Just a genius that sets a very high bar and then cheers us on to reach it.

Seth Ward said...

Very well said. One of the things that was so powerful for me when I read this was the fact that we have never heard any of this talk before from Bono. He was busy becoming the most incredible Rockstar the world has known, all the while, behind the scense using his celebrity status for humanitarian causes with his love of God the motivater.

The world didn't see this one coming. Here comes an interview, about the life of Bono, everyone expecting to see a kind of "behind the music oh-i-used-to-suck-morally-now-i-am-happily-married-to-a-stripper-and-will-live-ever-after-bullcrap story"

It is not what they got. Michka asked questions, and got answers from a man whos faith is so bound up with who he is that he can't help but answer the way he did.

Michka actually devoted a chapter to Bono's religious thoughts because of this although this is misleading, most of this interview listed is from another chapter.

I think the attention that his Christianity has recieved has been met with some resentment from the Evangelical Protestant world. I have practially experienced in conversation people folding there arms and saying, "well, just because he's a rock star and says it makes it cool huh, ...well he said some cuss words so he probably doesn't mean it...AND HE'S CAAATHOLIC!!" I have wanted to jump through the computer and shake the daylights out of these asinine, buble-world Evangelicals.

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

i'll help.

The funny thing is, that Joey and I were having a quick discussion about this the other day.

FancyPants said...

Bono, my hero...along with Johnny Cash.

Seth Ward said...

Kat, so true. A few months later the Rolling Stone mag did an interview with him and to His suprise, God was all they talked about with him, so here we had Bono who was already suprised at how people were reacting to his Christianity on both sides from the book, not shying away from his faith, responding again about his faith, this time to the biggest Rock and Roll media tool of all time.

I do not idolize Bono for what he says or because he is a Rock Star, I simply think that it is ironic that the Biggest Rock star in the world in one interview and one book probably reached more non-believers with an astoundingly good representation of Christianity from a personal viewpoint than all the Jerry Falwels, Ed Youngs, Joel Olsteen, CCM artists combined. I admire that bravery.

I thought it was very amusing that when this book came out they published a review of it in CCM magazine but said most Christian bookstores would not carry it because of some language issues.

I tend to think that is more than that. even if it is not, I would hope that the Church would never adopt a similar philosophy, that it would shut out certain people because of their use of language.

This kind of legalism is what we Protestant Americans are famous for and we need to change. I hate to harp on the American Church so much because I do think there are amazing things that have been done through the Church in America but we can be a real brood of vipers some times, myself included.