Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bye Bye Dog












When I was about 7 years old, I was strapped in between my mom and my dad in an old 74 station wagon decked out with wood paneling and missing a hub-cap. (poor preacher-mobile) My 3 sisters were crammed in the back seat. One of my sisters, Trisha, was fast asleep after 4 hours of driving and faintly smelling exhaust. She sat, peacefully, mouth open, slightly drooling, and if there weren't such road and hole-in-the-exhaust-pipe noise you might have heard a small resemblance of a snore. My younger sister April sat next to Trisha slowly and methodically trying to see how many small items she could place in Trisha's mouth without waking her up. She was up to a pencil, and a piece of scrap paper, and a baby carrot. My 3rd and oldest sister, Lorrie, sat reading Gone With the Wind, for what she would remind us at every rest stop, would be for the 11th time. This was the scene, or the highlights you might say.

I sat in that front seat, at that particular moment for no real reason except boredom, contemplating why my mom and dad smelled so different. Now, my dad is a preacher, Southern Baptist that is, and quite possibly the most unorthodox Southern Baptist preacher you could ever meet. He is an ex-: marine, dairyman, truck-driver, welder, boxer, drinker, smoker, and brawler. Although the good Lord has saved him from many perils with a new life in Jesus, their is still the aroma of those things hanging about him. Maybe that's what I smelled that morning on the way to my grandparents somewhere in the great sweltering cornfield desert between Indiana and Oklahoma.

For some reason, maybe fate, maybe the Lord decided to bring a memorable moment, whatever the reason, the stage was set for drama. It was one of those highways where you wondered if the highway department or who-ever the h-e-double hockeysticks takes care of the roads, had ever considered it as an existing part of highway reality. It wasn't necessarily the pot holes, although there was a steady flow of them. It was the lack of shoulders that gave this day its final ingredient for horror.

It was upon this shoulderless, pot-holed, stage, that an old stray dog made his entrance. I remember thinking, "umm, he's walkin' kinda slow." He just seemed to be sadly meandering. "Maybe he had the same thing happen to him as Humper," I thought to myself. My dad had told me a story a few months before our trip about his dog named Spot (nick-named "Humper" because of his K9 philandering), and how when they had him "fixed" Humper was so depressed that he just laid down in the road until a car ran over him. In short, Humper did himself in. "But this dog looks like he's trying," I thought, "to slowly, very slowly, cross the road and not lay down,... not lay down."

The next 10 seconds happened in what seemed like fast forward and slow motion simultaneously. I looked at my dad, my mom nervously says "Pat" (my dad's name), my sister Trisha wakes up from her slumber not entirely noticing how many things are in her mouth, Lorrie tears herself away from Rhet and Scarlet, and my little sister April unsuccessfully tries to see over the front seat blocking her view. I look back and forth from my dad to the dog, my dad to the dog. As my dad starts to brake, his eyes dart to the rear-view-mirror, then to the side realizing that two semi trucks had made there way beside and behind us. And as heralds of death the truckers seem to see the dog, the brief flash of brake-lights from our family-packed station wagon, the dilemma, and simultaneously honk their horns to both warn us and hopefully scare the darn wayward dog. The dog, however, seemed to care not.

This caused Trisha and Lorrie to scream "daddy, dog!" and my little sister simply pulls her arm up and down at the truck drivers to try and get them to honk again. Knowing the peril we are all in my dad, with his thick, Oklahoma, tough-guy-born-again accent says, (while tilting his head ever-so-slightly): "well, ...bye bye dog." And the rest as Harvey says, is history.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

In that story, your dad is played by Clint Eastwood in my imagination. Hope you don't mind, but that "bye bye dog" line is great when Clint delivers it.

Seth Ward said...

actually thats not too far from the mark. I remember this one time as a little guy going to Grandma's house for dinner in Oklahoma i. In the truck was My dad, me and my Grandpa. My dad had only been a preacher for about 1 year. It was getting dark and we are on this back-road in Olkahoma and in the middle of the road was this drunk guy waving a tire tool around so we couldn't pass. My dad honked a couple of times, the guy didn't move. My dad then got out of the car to reason with the guy, the drunkard took a swing at my dad, my dad grabbed the tire tool, kicked him in the nads and pushed him out of the road. He got back in the truck and said, "okay, lets go eat"

Cb22 said...

Definately Clint...

Wow, that would be a new twist on the Christian religion for sure.

Anonymous said...

May I love your father?

Anonymous said...

Please!!!! More Pat stories!!

Love,
your biggest Pat fan
(SH)

FancyPants said...

I agree with SH - more Pat stories for sure. Could we prod you to do one a week? It will be our weekly sitcom for those too hooked on blogging to watch T.V. (very sad)

Seth Ward said...

Absolutely! you cant help but love the guy. He is kind of like Will Rogers in that way.

Anonymous said...

Dang, Bro! That really looks like our old car. And that was one of the nicer ones we drove.

I remember skipping home from school one day, all excited because they traded the old clunker in for another model. What did I see in the driveway but a two ton forest green nineteen seventy something Cadillac with those covered wheels--you know the ones, like somebody had their eyes half shut? I stopped in my tracks and prayed it belonged to company.

It didn't.

I also remember the orange Oldsmobile that required special attention to get started. No problem! Just pop the hood, stick a pencil in the carbeurator, and after a couple of hold-your-breath-cross-your-fingers turns of the key, you were on the road again.

Then I leave home to go to college, and Dad goes out and buys a brand new car. See where I rated in this family?

Did I mention I've read
GWTW about thirty times now?

Seth tells the truth, people. The Pat stories are no exaggeration.

Sister Lorrie
www.campfiresecrets.com
Always find the funny.