Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Razr Rules

I have to admit, I love my cell phone. I have suddenly, for the first time in a long time, remembered what it was like to own something that other people don't have and wish they did. It appeals to my nature. It is in us all. It starts early. If you're a guy you can relate to these conversations. (If you're a girl replace "Starlight Splendor Barbie" for the cards.)


Seth at age 11: "hey which cards did you get?"
Neighbor boy: "awe just a bunch of nobodies."
Seth: "hmm.. That's to bad because I GOT THE MARK MCGUIRE ROOKIE....FOR THE FOURTH TIME!"
N.B.: "Well I bet you don't have his Olympic Card?"
Seth: "bet again bucko I got it last week"
N.B. "bull honkey"

etc. etc.

Well, fate would have it, I experienced this again just the other day. Walking through Super Target with my...., you guessed it, wife, (actually I love super target. I cant explain it right now, ... Maybe another blog.) anyway, as I strolled along with my wife, everytime I noticed a persons cell phone, I would think, "bet you wish you had a razr."

It is amazing how close these little tendencies I think are childish are right under the surface. I want to be better than the person next to me. Have a better car, house, (in my business) -a better Album, better Blog, blah blah. Its all right there. Within seconds I am there again, flashing my Mark McGuire Cards or Verizon Razrs and feelin good. It just takes the right thing at the right time to trigger it. Oh the rush, the power, the little sensation of uber-coolness that you get down in your belly when you have something others want. Then I get in my car drive by the nearest homeless guy and remind myself that I am more in debt than this soul will ever be and he is asking me for money. I roll my window down, give him some money, and He tells me "God bless you." Irony is a weird but good teacher and it reminds me that I will always want more, so I might as well give what I have away. Although I think ill keep the Razr for a few more weeks...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right there with you. I feel the same way about my Treo until I remind myself that anything truly worthwhile won't be rendered obsolete by an upgrade in six months.

Anonymous said...

And oh boy, did I just put some things together! Tell Amber Evans that her old friend Scott Baker from Baylor Theatre says hello.

Fork said...

When I see people with RaZar phones I laugh. I mean, what do you do when you need to hold your phone with your shoulder?

FancyPants said...

Scott Baker? Oh wow, this is incredible.

Baca's Head said...

mmmmmm, wisdom you have. Fanypants nothing says!!!!

Seth Ward said...

The force is strong with those who own the razr. So we dont need our hands to hold the greatest phone known to man to our ears.

FancyPants said...

I don't know about baseball cards, but I definitely used the term "bull honkey" one or twice as a child. What a wonderful word, rather, two words. Might need to load that one into my mind's present vocabulary log. And baca, just wait until I unleash my eternal and mind blowing intelligence upon all bloggers. Learn...you will...the secrets of blogalogue.

Anonymous said...

OMG... Pantsy, I love the term 'blogalogue.' Is that yours? May I steal it? When do you launch your blog so I can give due credit? And do I know you???

FancyPants said...

Def. "blogalogue" n. : (1) the back and forth banter between hopeless souls addicted to attempts at seeming more intelligent than the corresponding blogger with which one blogs. (2) slang for "nonsense" as used in the sentence, "Oh, what utter blogalogue. Shut up, would you?"

Of course, cach, steal away. Just be sure to give FancyPants due credit in your blog when using the word initially, and all is well. I'm tickled pink.

Baca's Head said...

hmm...blogalogue...that's a cool word. Like the word rad...it just "hangs out there," (my hand raised in a loose claw manner and a blank stare into the space it is grabing on my face). blogalogue. It makes me think of a little, fat man made of blobs that are pink and moving around on his little blob body as we walks towards me in my mind's eye as I say the word blogalogue...don't know why. kind of wish I was high right now... :) j/k