Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Cows and Chickens don't laugh

What the heck is laughter? It is one of things that we all do and love. (unless of course it is the evil laugh that my sisters used to dread hearing because it meant that 1. I was winning in Monopoly, or 2. Some kind of prank was in progress.)

I love what Chesterton says about laughter “Alone among the animals, he is shaken with the beautiful madness called laughter; as if he had caught sight of some secret in the very shape of the universe hidden from the universe itself.”

This is such a beautiful explanation. No one laughs more perfectly than a child. A child has the best view of things at all times. A sense of wonder, excitement, enjoyment, always wanting to play. And sometimes they play the best when they are creating something. We spend our whole lives trying to become more like a child. I mean, can anyone here wait until they can pee in there pants and everyone consider it normal? I know I cant.

To me it is yet another proof that there is a Good God in heaven, and that Joy is a scientific anomaly.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard a quote that said "Sometimes God's a comedian playing for a audience too scared to laugh"

Anonymous said...

"Cachinnation is catching... for laughter is surely the surest touch of genius in creation."

- Christopher Fry

Seth Ward said...

Absolutely, I was actually going to use your picture but i didnt know if you would mind.

Seth Ward said...

Derek, i think that is Voltaire, not sure though. I like that quote. I need to laugh more, alot more.

Tracy said...

"I love to laugh...loud and long and clear!" -Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins

Beautiful entry.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shaun Groves said...

If you back the first line of your post right back to the last ">" of your image tag them pictures of yours will set in them paragraphs right nicely.

Hey, Seth, blog looks great and reads great too. Cachinnator, do you work?? You're everywhere, man.

SG

Anonymous said...

I don't mind at all about the picture! And Shaun, for the record, I do work, I just don't sleep.

Seth Ward said...

thanks for the tip-