Friday, April 28, 2006

Mystery, my Son

"Now listen to me Son,... Mystery. Mystery, is Majesty. Say it, memorize it. It is the key to getting yourself a good woman." These wise words were uttered by my Father to me back in my pubescent days when I gawked from my lonely corner in the School library at Debra Daily as she would walk by, rip my heart out, take a bite of it and put it back in, without even tossing me so much a casual glance.

Basically my dad was trying to tell me to become mysterious. I had just gone through an unfortunate event in the 10th grade where one of my best friends and myself happened to have a crush on the same girl. The only problem was that I didn't know he had the hots for her as well. He would simply collect information about my crush and turn around and use it against me. Dirty snake. The story isn't pretty and it ended up in a scuffle during German class followed by a trip to the principles office. The only reason I did not get suspended from school was because when Christmas came around, I always sang the solos when we would serenade the principle and she thought my voice was perty. Yup I had enough brown on my nose to keep me in the black. When I told my dad the story I received the advice of "Mystery is Majesty" It was amazing, my dad had somehow used a theological principle and turned it around so to use it as a tool for getting and keeping babes. Now that's one heck of a dad.

Before I post on the Trinity I just want to say a word about the Idea of Mystery. A Mystery is not something we can know nothing about, it is something that the mind cannot WHOLLY or fully know. We shouldn't think of it as a big giant wall that we cannot climb or get around, but rather think of it as a gallery of art that has no beginning and no end and every moment we walk and discover is immeasurably satisfying. My wife for instance, is a Mystery to me. She is beautiful beyond measure, but how she can get my last bite off my plate into her mouth without me noticing is a complete Mystery to me. Seriously, every day I learn something new about her, I can never totally predict what she will do. She is altogether a Mystery to me and I LOVE IT.

This is the attitude we must have when we tackle things like the doctrine of the Trinity. We should not use "well, its just a Mystery," as an excuse to not study it further or know nothing about it as if it cannot be known.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all in there with you, bud. There is no such thing as just a mystery.

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

i'm with you on that one too, seth. And just as a side note: i'm enjoying the pictures you put with each entry...they are quite fitting and ammusing at the same time.

Seth Ward said...

thanks a bunch reijn! That is half the fun for me actually. I will probably get nailed someday for copyright infringe but until that time...

anyway, thanks for stopping in and for your comments.