Monday, July 24, 2006

Still love a Good Storm

There is something exciting about a thunderstorm. I admit that I kinda love em.' I think I am probably the only soul in Houston that likes rainy days or thunderstorms. So as one living in the flooding capitol of Texas, I must constantly clarify my love for rain. "I mean, I don'’t want to get my canoe out and drift down to the neighbor'’s house for some bread and on the way rescue a desperately paddling wiener-dog and a grandma, but SOMETIMES a good, normal, rainy day or a morning Thunderstorm really hits the psychological spot."

As a matter of fact I have always loved a good storm. I even knew the scientific term for the clouds in a thunderstorm by age 12, "Cumulonimbus." In my younger years, Tornados would totally mesmerize me. When I was a kid I wanted to see a tornado so bad that I used to pray that there would be a tornado if a thunderstorm hit. (as you pause for a baffled look at the computer) It's true people. One night when I was about 13 my younger sister and I were on a road trip with our parents traveling through Tornado-alley-Oklahoma and we were caught in a VERY nasty thunderstorm. As the car was being tossed about by severe wind and nasty rain, I actually tried to get my sister to pray that there would be a tornado. That little scene went something like this:

Me: "April, God said that when two or more are gathered then He will answer"
Younger Sister: "NO! I am not going to pray with you just so you can see a tornado" (staring bewildered at me.)

My mom overheard me unsuccessfully trying to convince my sister to PRAY FOR A TORNADO and just about smacked me.

My mom: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? DON'T PRAY FOR A TORNADO YOU IDIOT. If I hear or see you praying for a tornado I swear I will stop this car, drag you out in the rain and leave you there in case God answers your prayers"

My Dad: "Son, quit prayin' for tornados." glancing at me in the rear-view mirror. "That's the Stupidest thing I've ever heard"

The obsession lingered into my later teens and in high school my best friend and I would jump into his cruddy Ford Pinto and go Tornado Chasing. Finally the fiery obsession was doused in one swift move with the movie "Twister." Bill Paxton just sucked all the glory out of that hobby.

4 comments:

Reijn of the Elfin Muse said...

The amazing thing about storms is how they vary so beautifully from region to region. The storms in houston fall like flowing grey sheets in an easy breeze. While, the storms in Lubbock tend to remind me of an angry earth, pitching a fit at the water and wind. Some of the most beautiful sunsets i have ever seen were during or after a dust storm when the rain washed all the dust out of the air (and left mud on the cars) leaving a beautiful sunset. Each place has its beautiful storms no matter how "horrible" the place may be. Yes, Joey, i find parts of west texas beautiful.

Chaotic Hammer said...

I'm a big fan of weather, too. Rain is a very cleansing thing, in more ways than just washing the streets. There's a natural cycle to everything, and a natural and Divine plan to keep things refreshed and renewed.

Just a couple of days ago, I was awakened early in the morning by quite an intense thunderstorm, with bright flashes of lightning, followed by almost immediate (and booming) thunder, meaning it was hitting very nearby.

Believe it or not, they don't have this kind of weather in California. Ever. When it rains, it just turns gray and rains a lot, but very rarely do you ever hear any thunder or see actual lightning. It's one of the things I really missed, and I've loved being back in a place where there are actual storms. And seasons.

I'm not particularly interested in seeing a tornado, at least, not here at my home. It would make a big mess. But as far as just seeing it, like if I was in the middle of a field in Kansas or something, I'd love that -- especially since Kansas is far away from my house. :-)

Seth Ward said...

Reijn,

Dust storm sunsets are truly beautiful. It is strange that something so cruddy could cause something so beautiful. Sort of the irony in all cycles of life.

Kat, texas thunderstorms are the best. You can see the whole thing coming from miles and miles away, the ENTIRE cell. When we lived in Missouri, you didn't see the strom until it was right on top of you.

C-hammer, I love to be awakened by a thunderstorm. It is so cool. You get to go back to sleep while hearing the rain. However, I do not like waking up to the empty and lonely sound of a tornado siren. Tornados usually come when it is very calm and quiet. It is pretty darn scary. We never went tornado chasing in the dark, however I talked to that friend recently and he ventured out at night to find a tornado, and find one he did. His car was lifted off the ground and thrown into a ditch, all the windows.... well, I might as well tell this story in a blog.

Susanne said...

When I was little, I used to love standing under our carport with my Daddy when it was raining. We would enjoy the coolness and look at how green the rain made everything look. I love the smell of a summer rain! Since we live here in the "tropics," I especially appreciate the way a summer rain cools everything off.