Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Greatest

Many of you have heard plenty of stories and will hear more stories about my Dad's incredible life. What I have not told is Just what a great Dad he has been to me and my three sisters. Instead of telling a bunch of colorful stories (which I will save for later) I will just name a few things off the top of my head that remind me every day that I have the greatest dad a boy, teenager, and man could ask for.

When I was a kid, I suffered sever anxiety. I worried about world wars, vampires, bullies, having diseases, my parents getting a divorce (because of the occasional fight), and my sisters getting kidnapped, and dreams of my younger sister getting eaten by alligators in the pool (?). By the time I was nine years old I was getting up 3 times a night to make sure the oven wasn't on so that the house wouldn't burn down and had decided that I didn't believe in God because I added up the years in the bible and the Earth was only 3000 years old (crappy math) to my calculations. I was as sensitive as a cold sore and would cry at the drop of a hat and burst into raging anger fits over the smallest things. I was a bit of an emotional handful. On top of that I was ornery. Ornery as a starving raccoon. Just ask my sisters.

Despite my orneriness the thing that has plagued my life the most has been worry. Honestly, I still worry but not like I would if I didn't have the Father that I do.

One hot Indiana night, about 20 years ago, (that would make me 10 years old) I lay awake, eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling, worrying that I had a brain tumor because of some headaches that I was having that day. I finally got to the point where I couldn't take it any more and at 2 or 3 in the A.M. I got up, quietly walk to my parents door and gently "knock, tap, tap...." I heard some covers rustling. My dads voice emerged muffled from the other side..."What do you need?..." "Dad", I would say timidly, "could I talk to you for a second" There was a few seconds of silence....Then finally in a deep, tired and calm voice, "just a minute"

As soon as I heard these words I felt better. I knew that HE would have the answer. Finally after a minute or two my dad would emerge in a multicolored-striped robe and house shoes, hair a bit disheveled. We would walk into the living room, he would sit in his recliner and I would sit on the couch facing him. There he would quietly listen to my problem and worries. Then he would begin to tell me that I had nothing to worry about and there was nothing wrong with me. He would explain that the reason why you are having headaches is that "you rammed your head on the coffee table being rambunctious and that you just needed a couple of advils and a glass of water."

Then there was the time at 13 when my dad KNEW that I was smoking and drinking with my friends but of course he didn't let on that he knew. I came home from smoking down at Turnover-bridge with my older buddies (some 17 and 18). My sister said sarcastically, "were you down there smokin' with John and Dwight?" I would just say "No! Why don't you go smoke a barbie" which made no sense and was incredibly defensive. My dad just gave me a hug and said, "son, I love you and I know you wouldn't do something like that. You are too smart for that." -OUCH. It would KILL me inside to lie to my dad who I loved.

Like I said, he knew when to discipline and when to love. After all, as you will find out later in stories to come, he was pretty darn wild himself when he was younger.

Later in my early College years (17 as a freshman) it was my Dad who was waiting up for me at 2 in the morning worried. Not angry but worried. He would then probe into what I was doing and I would of course, tell a few windies here and there, and he would just sigh and say, "Okay, son, I trust you" and go off to bed at 2 in the morning...On a Saturday night....And he is a preacher. DOUBLE OUCH. After a few weeks of this waiting up it finally cured my short-lived partying days.

Recently I was reminded again what a great father I have when I came to terms with the fact that I won't have him forever.

6 months I got the call at church right before I was to go in and play for church. My cell phone rang and my oldest sister was on the line. "Seth, are you sitting down?" "What" I replied. "Dad is in the hospital and has to have emergency quadruple bypass surgery."

That Sunday morning they had rushed him to the hospital because he was having pains in his chest and back.

I stood there and I felt like someone had sucker-punched me in the stomach. It was the hardest church service I have had to attend or play through. The next day we flew in to Springfield to be at the operation.

Our prayers were answered and the surgery was successful. I was one of the six people to see him immediately after. Amazingly he was was already awake and talking. By the grace of God, my parents live near one of the top 10 best heart hospitals in the country. The surgeon was able to do the operation WHILE the heart was beating. Although the operation was a success, I had never seen my dad like this. Weak and frail. He had an oxygen mask on and He asked for my mom. She came over to him and he looked at her and said in a very deep but frail voice. "I see an angel"

This is the kind of father I have been blessed with and for this I am eternally thankful.

It is because of his encouragement and love that I think that I have such a healthy view of my Father in Heaven. I hope I can be half the dad to my kids that my father has been to me and my sisters.

Thanks Dad. Love you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that's a dad.

We're lucky men and I echo your sentiment that I hope to be half as good as mine for my kids someday.

operamom said...

men need to stand up and be strong like this man. Strong. this was and is a strong man.

Seth Ward said...

Sooooo, does that mean the kids are on the way????

Anonymous said...

If you're talking to me, you're a sick sick man. Sick.

After all, you're a year or so older, so it's your turn first.

Chaotic Hammer said...

Seth - Thanks for sharing this.

I'm also blessed like you, but we all know so many people that came from broken homes and endured terrible things as children -- we have a lot to be thankful for. We've also been given a strong foundation from which to reach out and offer love and healing to all those who didn't have the same.

I also have a great Dad, and his health has been failing in these last few years. It's good to remember to treasure the good things the Lord has given us.

Lexie Ward said...

Your dad is hands down the most awesome dad in the whole world. I'll bet he produced an oldest daughter of most excellent caliber.

Just guessing. But it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

By the way, do you ask for the word verification just to be irritating? I don't have to go to all this trouble over on opera mama's blog.

Seth Ward said...

It is irritating but I had to activate it becasue I was getting spammed like crazy. They have these little internet-bots that go out looking for bloggs and then they start spamming the crud out of you. So I had to turn that blasted thing on. You probably will soon as well.

Yes I do believe that he produced a oldest daughter of the most excellent caliber. Why doesn't that oldest daughter, who is actually the published writer in the fam, get on board with me and help me with this 60th birthday idea where we tell stories about his life and then self-publish it and give it to him on his 60th. I think I have about 4 written so far and I am going to do 4 more.

You in?

Seth Ward said...

Chaotic Hammer,

Yes we do. I have several friends who did not fair so well as far as father's go. What is amazing is that my dad kind of became a second dad to some of them. I would tell stories about him or he would meet my buddies and he really set an example for them. On top of that, for some of them, he was their pastor as well.

Men look for father-figures if they do not have a healthy one growing up. My dad became that to a few of my friends and I know other good dads who have become that to other guys. I think if the world was full of good dads then we could probably eliminate most of the evil in the world.

FancyPants said...

Actually, Seth, you were getting splogged.

Beautiful post.

Joey said...

Ornery....Ornan.... Coincidence? hmmm nope. I don't have anything wonderful to say. But I that was a wonderful post. I admire to the highest degree the relationship you have with your dad. He has been a truly wonderful father to his whole family and more.