Monday, June 12, 2006

Top Ten Favorite Albums

When I say albums, I mean ALBUMS. Several of my favorite songs of all time did not make this list. Album-making is a dying art form. A uniform work of power and beauty. The 20th century version of the Symphony. Each song leads to the other and every song is more powerful within the context of the Album. Each song enhanced by what came before and after. So I did not include some Albums even though my favorite Rock song of all time did not make the list, "Ocean" by Led Zeppelin. Words cannot express my love for this song, but it is not one of my favorite albums.


10. Appetite for Destruction-Guns and Roses. Appetite for destruction is the greatest Hair-Band album. It is the pinnacle of 80's glam rock and paved the way for the raw sounds of Nirvana and anti-established style. Guns and Roses in their own way were anti-Hair Band. They wore no make-up. They did not tease their hair and never appeared in public sober or bathed. Appetite has so many creative and inventive songs that it had to make my list. Fav. songs include "Sweet Child of Mine" "Paradise City" "Appetite for Destruction" "Mr. Brownstone"


9. Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. The album that I grew up listening to most. I probably have every single song on it memorized (except for "for Emily..." which depresses me) and I still can't get enough of "America" "Kathy's Song" and "The Boxer." Plus, you gotta love their hair in this pick. Just Fantasic.



8. Liturgy and Legacy -Rich Mullins. One of the most impacting albums I have heard. It is so bold and beautiful and was always the album that I played for my die-hard-Christian-music-hating-friends to show them that you could be Christian and original and NOT cheezy. I still love "Here in America" and the "Color Green" on this album the best. Two songs that never saw the light of day on the radio.


7. Illinois -Sufjan Stevens. A huge Surprise. I did not think that I would be loving an album so much written in recent years. So much should be said about this album but since many reading haven't heard it, I think you should hear it rather than read about it. I will say that it is an Album that has inspired me and has given me hope. (sniff, sniff, tear)


6. Surfacing -Sarah McLachlan. This is probably the most beautiful album ever made. From beginning to end it is completely georgeous. I don't think I have ever immediately been blown away by an artitst and album so much as I have by this record. I can stil turn this album on at any time and still be moved and in awe by her artistry. From the first second to the last little haunting waltz this is a flawless synthesis of perfect songwriting and perfect production. The only album from top to bottom that supasses in this way for me is my number one choice.


5. Graceland- Paul Simon. This is one of those albums that I heard at an influential age and the song-writing style is embedded into my conscience. The African a cappela tunes are just magical. You can hear hints of the influence of "Diamonds on the Souls of Her Shoes" in my humble tribute to Paul Simon's Influence in the song "Bitter Kiss" on our Album.


4. Joshua Tree -U2. Oh man what an Record. I still remember when these guys hit the scene. I hated them at first and did not begin to love them until I realized how crappy motley Crue (with the improper umlauts) had become. When I entered my music snob days in College it was the only album I would listen to. (oh brother) I am still so amazed how overtly their religious beliefs are intertwined in all their lyrics and we never really noticed. There is hardly a better intro to a song than "Where the Streets Have no Name" My only complaint is that I wish Christian Rock bands would stop raping the style of this tune. Come on, enough is enough.


3. The White Album -The Beatles. Another "Oh man what a record" There are soooo many songs that I love on this album. "Rocky Raccoon" "Life goes on", "Blackbird", "Mother Nature's Son" (a lesser known jewel on the album) and probably my favorite on the White Album, "I Will." The sheer scope and experimental mood of this album (mainly because they all just wanted their songs to be heard, thus thus the length) is staggering.


2. Are You Experienced? -Jimmy Hendrix.



Two words.




Purple Haze.





(drum roll) and my number one most favoritest album that I love the mosteses is..... big surpise...


1. Sgt. Pepper -The Beatles. No album has influenced more song-writers, myself included. I remember when my dad first got one of the re-issued cassettes in the 80's. I literally wore the tape out and since I have probably bought the album 25 times between loosing it, giving it away and just sheer overuse. I now only allow myself to listen to it once every 6 months so as to experience anew the power of this friggin wonder of musical creation. No song can compare to this day to in creative genius and power of "A Day in the Life" ...Period.


There you have it. What would have made your list that didn't make this one? What do I need to check out that has rocked your world? What's your top 5, 10, or 20?

16 comments:

Chaotic Hammer said...

Some of my all-time favorites, in no particular order:

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Pink Floyd - Umma Gumma

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Kansas - Leftoverture

Kansas - Point of Know Return

Rush - Hemispheres

Rush - 2112

Rush - Moving Pictures

Keith Green - The Keith Green Collection

Keith Green - Songs for the Shepherd

Kemper Crabb - The Vigil

U2 - October

Van Halen - Van Halen (first album)

Sarah McLachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes

Tori Amos - Under the Pink

Kerry Livgren A.D. - Time Line

Strange, eclectic list, yes. I'm old, many of these represent what I was enjoying during different periods in my life. And like you, these represent complete albums, not just hit singles.

Sorry, I couldn't stop at just ten (and I could have kept going pretty easily). And I like many of those on your list, too.

Seth Ward said...

no problem! let me hear everyone's. It is totally fun!

I love it.

Baca's Head said...

sucker! you stole my joshua tree album. that's all I gotta say

FancyPants said...

Hey, I gave him one for his birthday! How did he steal yours? Rich Mullins CD ring a bell? Still got that one anywhere?

FancyPants said...

Baca, finally you're blogging with us! Yea!

Seth Ward said...

Oh, well, I'll give it back when you give me my Rich Mullins "Songs" CD back and your Radiohead "Paranoid Android" as interest.


"Come in and know me better man!"

"Before you prick the CD out of thy brother's eye, prick the stolen CD out of thine own." KSV.

Seth Ward said...

Chaotic, I have never had the chance to get into Pink Floyd as I should. I was thinking about taking the plunge this fall. I LOVE the Keith Green, October, and the first Van Halen album before they became Van Hagar. I am going to arrange "eruption" for amplified piano and amplified string quartet someday and play it on a high-brow classical recital, knocking the blue-hairs senseless.

FancyPants said...

KSV: King Seth version?

I'm not sure about the King part of that....

Anonymous said...

I'll throw in Chris Isaak's "Forever Blue," Sixpence's "Sixpence None the Richer," Nirvanna's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet," Coldplay's "X&Y," Gin Blossoms' "New Miserable Experience," Moby's "Play," and Cindy Morgan's "The Loving Kind."

BTW, my Word Verification for this comment is hhiaiapy. Thought I'd share.

Seth Ward said...

Hey Cach. I love all of those as well. I have also fallen in love with the genius that is Radiohead. I have been swimming in their music again lately and can't wait till the next album. I can't seem to get enough. It is amazing how many bands are influenced by them. Muse, Flaming Lips,...Coldplay.

Also, Moby Play especially is one of my fav's from that list of yours.

I love Coldplay as well. I just didn't like their last album as much as A Rush.

Snoopy if you like that group you should Check out Muse. I think you would like them as well. Really dramatic and creative.

BTW, i think hhiaiapy is the Japanese pronuciation of "Happy"

Chaotic Hammer said...

Seth - Pink Floyd is perhaps a bit of an acquired taste. It's not for everyone. Judging from some of your influences, I think you could definitely get into their music.

I'd recommend starting out with "Dark Side of the Moon". Amazingly, it came out in 1973, but even today manages to hold its own without sounding "dated". It's a little dark, but is pondering thoughts somewhat like those from the Book of Ecclesiastes.

Seth Ward said...

Kat. Don't you dare be ashamed or apologize for you musical taste.

I think that Age to Age happens to be a terrific album and I wore it out as a kid. It is chalked full of fun songs written by Christian music's best in the golden age of Christian music when writers were still allowed and encouraged to be creative, and original and not write for focus groups.

I also LOVE that Kansas album of Jennifer Knapp. It is a shame she probably won't be returning to the CCM scene. Very original voice.

And good Lord Jesus Freak.... What a record as well. I wore that one out in my Campus Crusade days. I still love about 5 songs on that record like crazy.

The other ones you mentioned I will try and listen to them. Part of the reason for this post was to hear about music that I am missing out on.

Oh and the Kelly Clarkson, I own it. It isn't my fav. but hey, what a set of pipes and I have always felt she was honest and expressive. I hope she gets out from under that mangement soon and do something out of the ordinary. I have this feeling that she's got this big creative balloon ready to pop inside of her.

Did you know that she LOVES Caedmon's Call. Our producer got to meet with her a few months back and she flipped out when she got to meet him! HA!.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!

C-Hammer, I will start with the Dark Side. Maybe I'll put on the Wizard of Oz while I am at it. ; )

Chaotic Hammer said...

Seth - That actually works, and it's pretty cool. :-)

I didn't realize that Kemper Crabb (one of my favorites listed above, who has been friends with one of my best friends in Houston for many years) toured with Caedmon's Call one year, and a few of his songs appear on In the Company of Angels.

Interesting Link

It's a small world after all.

An interesting interview - He reminds me a little bit of you, Seth. :-)

Seth Ward said...

Also another tidbit about Kelly Clarkson and another testimony proving the "small world" theory, the guitarist for Kelly Clarkson played on our album. He was also in the band Sonic Flood if anyone remembers them.

Seth Ward said...

C-Hammer,

That was a great interview. I have only a few disagreements with this guy. Actually on big one. You cannot call yourself a Calvanist and a Augustinian. Period. Augustine was not a Calvanist. It sounds better to call yourself a Augustinian than a Calvanist but it is the difference in calling yourself British and Irish. Or Protestant and Catholic. Also, as far as tradition and church goes, I don't abide by this notion that tradition is near-meaningless and the Bible the only way God reveals himself. It was the Holy Spirit working through his Church, the Body of Christ that put the Canon together. Now I would not necessarily call them Coequal. I don't pretend to hold the scales that measure the mysteries of God, but God works through His church to reveal who He is. This revalation never contradicts itself and never has.

Other than those two disagreements, I think I REALLY dig what this guy is doing. So raw and real. He seems to have a deep love for our Church's History and it is in him. We NEED more thinking deep Christian teachers and musicians like him. I admire his honesty and heart.

I just wish we could all stop this whole Protestant/Catholic thing. All this Protesting... What the heck are we protesting anymore???

Anonymous said...

Good call on U2 and the Beatles. My personal favorite is "Scenes From A Memory: Metropolis 2" ~ Dream Theater. If you've never listened to Dream Theater, I highly reccommend them. They are amazing musicians and my favorite band. Definitely buy a copy of this CD and let me know what you think.
~Liz