Friday, March 03, 2006

WHAT I KNOW

(prelude)
There are two ways of looking at the Universe. A theistic way, (a belief in God), and an a-theistic way, (no God). Some say that there is a middle way, an Agnostic view where they are not sure either way, but in reality the Agnostic is both atheist and theist, it just depends on what time of the day you catch them or what is happening in their life. They have no problem when winning the lottery in saying THANK YOU GOD!, but when tragedy strikes, they shake their fist at God and say I KNEW YOU WERENT THERE ALL ALONG.

I will be approaching the Universe from a Theistic approach, because obviously I believe that there is a God. The purpose of this series is to present what I know as of today about the universe, how it works and Why I believe what I believe. In this blog I welcome all people who think, to engage in conversation. People from any or no faith are encouraged to read and participate. If you disagree, then argue with me. Just do it intelligently and politely. If you decide to say, “your full of crap” then just let me know why. You learn when you disagree and vocalize those disagreements. I do not know everything, or even close to everything, but that doesn’t stop me from trying. Some might consider this arrogance, but what is arrogant about discovery?

I will start this series with the idea that God created science. He likes it. So should we. We are daily discovering how God designed this Universe (or Universes) and correcting things and trying new ideas out all the time. Some people attribute what I am about to do as “the God of the Gaps” theory. I think that they are more right than they know. We are after all made up of mostly empty space, a Gap is empty space, and as one Atheist scientist stated studying string theory, “we are more of a thought than we are anything”, So therefore if God made everything, then Gaps are included. Is it wrong for a man to say, “God holds the storehouses of rain”? This was the writer of Job’s best attempt at describing the creative sovereignty of God. Now we know that the “storehouse” is mass of condensed water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere above Earth. Did that make the writer of Job wrong? No. I still believe that he holds the storehouses of rain. I just call those storehouses clouds and have a better idea of what they are made of and how they work. I simply believe God created this universe and Science is a discovery of that process. I agree with the great Einstein who said: “I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.”

I am not here to present all the theories of origins. There are several theories that are being discussed, researched and debated among scientists about the Creation of the universe. Feel free to add and enlighten. The one I will be using as the platform to spring from is the best theory, I believe we have to date: The Big Bang. Ironically the Big Bang was discovered by a Catholic priest Lemaitre. It goes a little something like this:

No comments: