Saturday, July 26, 2008

Giant Bugs in Heaven?

Giant Moths. Giant Spiders. Starbucks-challenged. Overabundance of Oatmeal Cream Pies. Mullet-laden deer...

Welcome to Kentucky.

I'm a little irritated right now. It partly has to do with Kentucky, but it mostly has to do with my mac... I think. See, right now I'm typing on someone's brand new mac in our house. For some reason, the airport on my macbook pro isn't picking up this wireless signal. The borrowed mac (a simple but new MacBook) somehow has a power that my mac (a sleek but older PowerMac) has not. But see, folks, that is the mental quagmire that Kentucky offers on a daily basis. Prestonsburg is simultaneously modern and primeval. It is turvy topsy in very odd ways. For instance, there are highschools here with daycare. Not because there is a high level of premarital sex, nay, because girls are still getting married in these here parts at 15 and 16. And when they turn 16 they drive their very nice cars to school with little bubba all strapped in behind mom-the-cheerleader and dad the Class-president. That, my friends, is a time warp problem. Through it all, the people are quite possibly the friendliest people on the face of the earth, which leads me to wonder.. maybe everyone else has it backwards.

Yesterday, I was driving behind a fairly new Maxima. However, in proper Kentucky style, the car, albeit new, was missing a taillight, with no other sign of a fender-bender accident, and hanging out the left window was a large dog and a small wiener dog licking at the wind in pure K-9 bliss. Plastered below the taillights on the bumper was an assortment of bumperstickers proclaiming allegiance to Bill Clinton. It was a fast car, but it was moving at a molasses speed. Yes, it is a democratic town yet it is also a tad bit racist. (Tad=a bunch, btw) So see, it is a topsy turvy place, so to speak - a Willy Wonka state that can could cause any good ole' Texas/New-York boy to knaw off his toe in the heat of the night.

However, it is pretty. And, my wife playing the living heck out of all her roles. If you are in the area, I would highly suggest visit the Jenny Wily Theater and seeing a triple-feature. Despite the Twilight Zone-factor, this trip has been on of the most rewarding experiences of my lifed.

There will be much more to tell. Much, much more. Wiener dogs hanging out the window is simply a small ornament dangling off of the Kentucky Kwanzaa tree.

Stay tuned. It might be a few weeks, but I'll be back in the swing of things soon.

I miss NYC, really, really, really bad. I can't help it. I really just like that place, a whole heck of a bunch. Is it wrong to like living somewhere so much? I'm not sure it is. I mean, we've been taught our whole lives that heaven is our real home, and not to get to comfy and such... but that seems to go against our whole nature, not to mention Genesis and Jesus' message of the "The Kingdom is Here." What if THIS is heaven, or future heaven? What if THIS (a fractured version of the old and future earth) is our future home. Yes Earth, a new and improved Earth, is our future. Yes, I believe that someday, when all things are new, Earth will be our home. And something about that makes me happy. More than that, it makes sense.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to know that you're still alive. Let's keep it that way, shall we?

Chaotic Hammer said...

Hey, how much longer will you guys be there? We really do want to come see Amber in action, and need to try and schedule some dates to make the trip there. We'll probably take a few days off work and take our time hanging out.

Glad to hear from y'all! I've pretty much dropped off the face of the blogging universe this summer, too. Just too much going on.